GCSE Tutors

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: GCSE Tutors

Post by southbucks3 »

Round here the undergrads (and sone post grad unemployed) tutor kids at gcse level during the breaks. This seems to work well actually, I guess a bit like having a useful older sibling with a more focused plan. Also links very well to the student finance thread currently on the forum.
My friend's son had two weeks undergrad help over Easter last year for French, it really came together for him having the student round and working with him and practising speech and pronunciation for an hour every day, and his predicted c/d turned into a very respectable b which he is really proud of...maybe more so than his string of As actually because he conquered something that he had struggled with.

I know another that does physics and maths...very keen, makes it fun, and is hoping to go into teaching with his degree so it helps everyone.
Finally there is a young lady undergrad who does English language, my friends daughter went through essay techniques with her just for a few hours this weekend. Now my friend was actually an English teacher prior to giving up paid work to bring up children, but she says it was a different perspective and undiluted one to one concentration she was paying for, and was very happy with the work they did.

So worth a shot..if you just want to encourage them a bit...probably not so great if they are desperate for a* all round for some reason, but if they need tutoring to get a* in every subject, they are obviously not an a* pupil...whatever that is.