How important is a Language at GCSE?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Warks mum

Re: How important is a Language at GCSE?

Post by Warks mum »

In the 80s I gave up music in favour of Latin for the same reason, Guest55. The music teacher told me I should do Latin if I was interested in Oxbridge!

I regretted it right up till this year when DD did music GCSE. When she'd finished the course she felt it hadn't been a great choice as it wasn't quite what she expected, so I decided perhaps I'd made the right decision after all!
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Can anyone explain the logic of why a MFL or Latin might be seen as more fundamentally important than other subjects such as science, history, geography etc.?
KB

Post by KB »

Currently I believe its a case of not 'instead of' but 'as well as' I think.

Where places are competitive the admissions decisions start by a 'weeding out' process and there is a possibility that those without a breadth of subjects (that include science and MFL etc) at GCSE may be 'weeded' based on the idea that a range of subjects demonstrates in itself certain skills and abilities. I am not agreeing with this or suggesting that it happens all the time but it may so why take the risk if you have a choice.

In the case of Latin it was/is seen as being one of the few GCSEs that avoided the dumbing down process, so to get a decent grade was seen as an indicator of a good academic mind. Certainly at our 'super selective' many straight A* students slip to an A in Latin .
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Dear All,

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I shall certainly digest and hopefully we will be in a better position to discuss with the school at DD's parent-teacher consultation next week.

In an ideal world I know that a MFL is important but part of me feels that a high grade in a subject she loves is 'better' than a poor grade in a subject she dislikes .... Especially as all her other subjects are fairly academic.

I dropped out of 'O' level French many years ago and it certainly didn't prevent me from embarking on a successful career in surveying. Just a pity that I wasted so much time on a subject I despised when I could have taken another one. Indeed my DS, who attends a highly selective independent school, announced last night that his mate had just dropped German (GCSE's this summer) What a waste!

In the meantime, I shall research Spanish tutors ... If anyone can recommend a good one in a Barnet please pm me!!!

Thanks once again for taking the time and effort to reply. It is much appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now