GCSE revision guides

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

3b1g

Re: GCSE revision guides

Post by 3b1g »

Suggest he translates the Pliny excerpts, then looks at past papers to see what sort of thing they're looking for in terms of literary analysis. Well that worked for me in 1989. :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Well if we are going down that route...after my physics teacher (who was really an art teacher but had to step in to help) basically turned out to be completely useless and was sacked, we had no teacher...the one from next doors class popped in once or twice to make sure we were not killing each other. We all bought letts revise o level physics and most of us passed. :D Not sure if it would work these days?

Ah happy memories, we all looked forward to double physics, or rather double NME.

DS1's school has cpg on its recommended revision guides list for some subjects, but Latin is the course resources. Not listed for biology for some reason...Sorry, I had a look for you but it's a blank at the moment.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We have managed to find translation tests on a site called quizlet. Unfortunately they change the set texts every couple of years so there is only one past paper for the correct texts.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I had to teach myself a good part of Physics A-level after the Physics teacher was promoted to assistant head halfway through our course. Fortunately I was good at Maths. :?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It must be a Physics thing. At A-level our teacher handed us a copy of the syllabus and I think 3 textbooks and that was almost the last we saw of him for the next two years. In hindsight I should probably feel quite aggrieved...
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

There's lots of Latin vocab on Memrise.

Past papers are obviously useful, but can be limited in numbers, and they might do them at school as part of that revision, so I think revision guides/workbooks/etc can be useful too. My dd2 certainly finds it somewhat reassuring that if she is feeling worried she can do a couple of pages of a revision book.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My Further Maths teacher left at Christmas in Year 13 ... no teacher replaced him. In those days parents did not complain - no other teacher could help us with the mechanics so if I couldn't work it out we were totally stuck.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you aliportico, I just spent a very happy ten minutes doing first declension nouns 86%
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ha...You will be sent a little top up Latin test tomorrow by memrise DG just when you are not expecting it, answer immediately if you can...sometimes it is ok, sometimes the old grey matter refuses to play!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I couldn't find any Latin on Quizlet. Am I looking in the wrong place? But I did do a very silly Literature terms test where if you did not use exact words in the order they did you got it wrong! I look forward to my spot text on Latin first declension nouns tomorrow then! Elaine
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now