Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Classical Civilisation

Post by Amber »

southbucks3 wrote:
I read Aeschylus, Euripdes and Homer, but all in translation :lol:
Rob we are not worthy...You read these as a teenager!
I read Thomas Mann - not in translation - for my 'A' level German. Surely that trumps this? :D And if not, then surely Keats for 'O' level English does. No?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Thomas Mann book very worthy, but you only had to translate it in your head, not make too much sense of it.
Keats a breath of fresh air...I would rather have hung out with Keats, Shelley and the gang than miserable Ted hughes, ramming cold war misery into poems, Sylvi plath telling us what a miserable life she led in bell jar and how great their miserable predecessor Ellioti was with his dung heaps growing flowers to symbolise hope after breakdowns. The worst thing was our teacher duped us totally...He was lovely btw...but he gave us esthers tom cat, pike, and iron giant in the first few weeks, before progressing to cheerful ditties such as woman unconscious.

Never had the chance to study classics, or latin...probably why I love them now. :? My friend went to an indie girls school and did both, and looks back in hate?

Edit...just remembered, Mann wrote the mother of all huge books of flannel didn't he...the mountain..tb... clinic tome. Well Amber if you read that in German, not death in Venice, then hats off to you, definitely the winner. :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:
I read Aeschylus, Euripdes and Homer, but all in translation :lol:
Rob we are not worthy...You read these as a teenager!
I read Thomas Mann - not in translation - for my 'A' level German. Surely that trumps this? :D And if not, then surely Keats for 'O' level English does. No?
We did Thomas Mann, too, and lots of Heinrich Böll, Friedrich Durrenmatt and our particular non-favourite, Günter Grass. But personally, I felt that having to do three of Milton's poems for O level English took the biscuit :x
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I read Thomas Mann - not in translation - for my 'A' level German. Surely that trumps this?
Absolutely it does! Anyone can read in their native language :lol: As an aside, Amber, I am the only member of my family who has never been to Germany – perhaps you could be my guide/translator for a trip some time? :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:As an aside, Amber, I am the only member of my family who has never been to Germany – perhaps you could be my guide/translator for a trip some time? :D
:shock:
You wouldn't be able to afford me Rob. 8)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

:lol: :roll:
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I would like to thank Dao for starting the thread, and Rob Clarke for inspiring me to order Aristophanes "frogs" I came back from the usual muddy side lines today, hid in my room for two hours with my freshly delivered penguin classic and chuckled throughout. I know "wasps" is not supposed to be as good, but I am saving it for a camping trip in April, when I know I will be waking up all night freezing, tired and bored.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now