GCSE Options - French or Geography

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sbarnes

Re: GCSE Options - French or Geography

Post by sbarnes »

apart from the 6 fixed subjects (maths, eng x2, chem, phi, bio) he has picked History and RS and German. Left with the tricky choice of either French or Geo...loves both, respects the teachers that teach both!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Geography :D A bit of goggers sets you up for life in looking vaguely smug during conversation, or quizzes. Franglais is best learnt in France. I may be biased, the last book I bought was about cloud formations, so I guess I get pleasure from the subject.

Let the boy decide, it may come down to what his friends are doing, but that's ok, a bit of competition and shared homework nights are all worthy reasons. Let him make two lists, keep them on his bedside cabinet and see which has the most positives by the end of the week.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

this is his decision; i am just the facilitator here...It's his homework, coursework, exam etc..
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No arts option? Is there nothing that appeals in Technology, music, drama ...?

Look at the schools value-added results - which subjects do students perform better in? WHo will teach him? Are you sure the teachers he like will be there next year and teaching his group?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

his choice has boiled down to french and geography; now he has to choose. Thanks for the tips, I think the decision matrix is the best one. I used to advise that for parents who were undecided on schools and had to make difficult choices. At the end of the day, very little at GCSE will affect his A level choices.

If he was arts biased, I would have taken up the place at KES...thats another thread. Me thinks he will go geo...
moved

Post by moved »

Amber wrote:Well I am a language lover as you know, but my son loves Geography. And he hated French.
I think they should do them all till 16 anyway, but I am not Education Secretary.
Now, that would be fun! :mrgreen: