Changing school - secondary

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anupreet

Changing school - secondary

Post by anupreet »

Hi

I would like to enquire if grammar schools such as QE boys, tiffins boys take children in year 9, also how would one come to know of it?

Thx,
KB

Re: Changing school - secondary

Post by KB »

I would start with the web page for the schools of interest. There will probably be a section on admissions, possibly within the online prospectus.
If this fails then at least the web page should have contact details ( email address for admin/info ?) so you can ask the school for details of post 11+ admissions.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ask the school - send an email to the admissions officer. All schools lose children along the way and are keen to fill the empty places for financial reasons.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

QE boys had 4 spaces by the end of Y7, four who had parents who thought the greatness of the school made up for the toughness of the journey This turned out not to be the case. QE contact the boys at the top of the waiting list and brought those who were interested in for more tests. That is how they filled the places. I would expect they would do the same for Y9 as they have a long list of boys who only missed spaces by a couple of marks. But you need to contact them and ask them if this is the case. This is not a good time to get any mindshare from them as they will be awash with Y6 parents who find their ds on the waiting list I would wait a month until it all settles down but start preparing now if you are interested. You will not be setting foot in that school unless you get very high grades on entrance tests. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

As far as I am aware schools aren't allowed to/don't keep waiting lists beyond the first term of Y7 so I am not sure whether there would still be one by Y9. I still reckon contacting the school is your best bet but as DAO says don't do it now unless you want to hack them off severely. Sometime around May might be a good time.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think, technically, it's the LEA who only keep waiting lists until Dec 31st of Y7, at which point, in year admissions usually reverts back to the school. I suspect they then take over the waiting list and/or keep lists of parents who contact them and express an interest. However, everyone is quite right, I would expect to be tested quite thoroughly as they will need your child to be above average to come in part way through and keep up!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

In-year admission rules are likely to vary slightly from school to school. Tiffin Girls' maintains its year 7 waiting list right up to the end of the academic year, so places, if any arise, are only offered to girls who have already taken the 11plus and reached the cut-off score. In years 8-11 if places come up the school tests applicants in English and maths. Most schools publish their admissions procedures online so that might be an easier place to start than contacting the relevant admissions department, which, as others have said, will be inundated at the moment.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From the QE Admissions Guide on their website:

Admission at ages other than 11
There is only one formal point of admission to the School and this is at age 11 on secondary transfer. Pupils whose parents apply for a place in Years 7-11 at a later stage may be admitted only if a vacancy occurs and if that pupil's academic ability meets the requirements of the Governors. Parents wishing to apply for a place in Years 7-11 after the normal point of intake must contact their home local authority in the first instance. There is no formal point of admission into the Sixth Form.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

....although I know 2 families who were told by the relevant non-selective schools to apply through the school and also the local authority, as the local authorities are notoriously slow at processing in-school-year applications.
anupreet

Post by anupreet »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I called up the school(QE boys)and they said to ask the council, as the list is with them . They also told me to fill up some application form for being in the waiting list. As soon as they have a place they will invite students for the entrance.

Is it an online form or something that needs to be done in the barnet council? Any idea anyone?