Re: GCSE options

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
caty64

Post by caty64 »

Hi
I'm new to this so please forgive me if i'm asking already answered questions.

We have just been told today that my daughter can not take GCSE Photography and GCSE Textiles together as they apparently have the same code and would therefore be classed as only 1 GCSE although 2 certs would be issued. She is devastated I have spoken to DfE and they are saying it is a local decision the school are saying its a government one! Can anyone shed any light on this........

So very confused and angry right now :? :x

caty64
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are two separate GCSEs but I suspect the school regards them as 'too similar' and doesn't want students to study both. This should have been clearly stated in the option booklet - go in and talk to someone.

Why does she want to take both? One could be picked up later possibly ...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What other GCSE's is she taking? These are two practical subjects and really one is enough and the rest of the GCSE's are better off as more traditional subjects. DG
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Photography is an option of GCSE art and design. Textiles can be an art and design course (textile design) or a GCSE technology option.
The first would not be allowed at my DC school as this would be two art options but the later, one art and one technology would.
Do you know the exact specifications of the courses she wants to take?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Aside from everything that everyone has said above, they are both incredibly time heavy subjects so I wouldn't advise doing them both anyway, particularly if it is at the expense of another academic subject (hard to advise as without seeing her full range of options, I cannot see whether she has got a good balance across subjects.)
KB

Post by KB »

I assume the school has decided that they don't want students doing two course with the same code (in practice determined by the DfE) as they cant be awarded two GCSEs for covering material/skills where there is considerable overlap.
This may be because it will be detrimental to their league tables but they may also be concerned that your DC doesn't end up with one less GCSE qualification than she would otherwise gain.

I cant believe that GCSE photography is a prerequisite for any further study so could she just pick this up later?

As already noted - taking these two subjects at GCSE will not only mean she has 1 less qualification but will also limit the breadth of her other options and limit future choices at an early age.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now