New GCSE grading system from 2017

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

silverysea

New GCSE grading system from 2017

Post by silverysea »

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26854297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think?

Interesting that the top 3% will get the top grade 9. Currently the top 6.8% get the highest possible, an A*.

Also that it will be pegged to international performance measures - PISA
inmystride

Re: New GCSE grading system from 2017

Post by inmystride »

I'm sure a higher percentage will get the top mark once we start sending our children to full time education from age 2 (as recommended). Of course, just to be safe, we can play them Baby Einstein tapes while they're still in the womb.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I think that only the top 3% will be given the top mark, regardless of their amazing scores due to saturation training in taking exams from conception onwards. My daughters missed out on that, so I will have to leave that to the next generation. At least I didn't smoke.

Lower scores that might now have got a C pass, will be regarded as a fail basically, from what I gather.

It's supposed to address grade inflation - well, whatever, but before we kick off the usual debate about how nasty and unfair exams are, and how children should not be tested, yes, ok, that is another debate to be had - but the fact is this is a big change, it is going to impact our current year 8s (I think?) and below who are going to be marked at a crucial point in their lives, using this new system. It won't be such a lottery for the best 6th forms and Unis - they will just add up the levels- and take the top scorers-simples!
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

My fav comment:
"Well, you should all check out my new exam grade system... This one goes to eleven."

If anyone else is old enough to remember spinal tap....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm also concerned at the content of the syllabuses with B grade material being placed in Foundation.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Excuse my ignorance please a Guest 55, is foundation what used to be needed for a C? I only know foundation is referred to for pre-school!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - maths has two 'levels' of entry at GCSE: Foundation (G to C) and Higher (D to A*).
moved

Post by moved »

If we teach to the test then we will do better in PISA. I don't think it means that the children will be better educated.

Other countries have already aligned themselves closely to PISA. what we perhaps need to do is look at what PISA tests before we run all over it with our eyes tightly shut and our arms wide open.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We randomly select the schools that take the PISA test - some countries have a selection test and pick the top schools!