about gcse and ks3

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moon78

about gcse and ks3

Post by moon78 »

My dd got 38percentage in ks3 test. is it affect her gcse? is she allowed to take higher level paper in gcse ornot?
ToadMum

Re: about gcse and ks3

Post by ToadMum »

I assume that you are talking about end of year 8 or year 9 exams? Which subject did she get 38% in and does this reflect what she usually achieves? I assume you are talking about a core subject rather than an option, otherwise the simple answer would be to choose something else.

In any case, your DD needs to discuss her result with her tutor and subject teacher (I am sure that they will be doing this anyway), who should advise her about which tier the school suggests / will allow her to go in for.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moon78

Post by moon78 »

end of year 8 test(ks3 science) she got 38 percent. before each topic she got 50-60 percent. is this result accountable for gcse higher level papers?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The mark could mean anything - you need to ask about what NC level this is. If it is level 6 they are supposed to have access to triple science.

GCSE entry levels shouldn't be decided by a Year 8 exam. I would check with the school; do they start GCSE in Year 9?
moon78

Post by moon78 »

they are starting gcse science in year 9.
copella

Post by copella »

Moon78 I think this is a difficult question for anyone in this forum to answer. We have no idea what the test covered, the averages or if the school take into account the averages for all the tests she has done. Have you contacted the school? They will be the ones making the decisions so the question should be aimed at them. Most schools are very helpful and will explain the reasons for their decisions with parents.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The school would probably consider the child's whole year performance on deciding which exam to put a child in, rather than one exam result. If the lower result is out of character, then they may write it off as just a bad exam day.