GCSE UCAS Points from out of school works

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aliportico

Re: GCSE UCAS Points from out of school works

Post by aliportico »

CampNou wrote:Thanks for your comments.
So it is clear that No UCAS points are available for GCSE results or any out of school activities.
No, things like grade 6 and above ballet exams which are almost always done out of school can accrue UCAS points. Or piano, or speech&drama, which might be done in or out of school.
moved

Post by moved »

Some universities make offers on A level grades, but also look at ucas points when making those offers, i.e. offers only made to those with lots of ucas points.

DoE gold still highly regarded by both unis and employers. It was cited as one of the reasons for one young man to be offered his engineering scholarship too.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree that DoE gold is highly regarded by unis but few take it to this level. I still think it is too easy to use things you already do - I'm sure that was not intended when it was created.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We have been strongly advised by my son's school (Tiffin) to make sure our boys have wide interests outside school to help them create a personal statement with impact. The impression I got from them was that things like D of E, sporting achievements, young leader activities, Scouts, music and drama exams, school trips abroad, running clubs in school etc etc can all make a difference if university applicants all have identical grades. My son does a lot of extra curricular stuff already (too much probably!) so didn't need to be told but he has been advised to start making CV notes now (year 10) so he doesn't forget anything).
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

As an aside Bronze D of E has been I think very good for him whether or not it counts towards anything - he's learning a new instrument, working on a new aspect of a sport he already loves, but most important, I think, it's made him volunteer for a charity which has made him look outside himself to the needs of others less fortunate.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:I agree that DoE gold is highly regarded by unis but few take it to this level. I still think it is too easy to use things you already do - I'm sure that was not intended when it was created.
From the history of the DofE award:
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award for Boys established and chaired by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. Sir (later Lord) John Hunt appointed Director. The programmes consist of four sections, rescue & public service, expeditions, pursuits & projects, and fitness.

I think the intention was to get young people to take up hobbies that they had not tried before, but I think that has evolved into keeping them doing things that they might otherwise give up.

Does anyone remember that DofE used to be divided into girls and boys, and the horrific module called "Design for Living" for girls?

I made a full length "A line" dress with puffed sleeves (ETA: and a huge frill at the bottom) out of bright pink polyester with green spots on it.

I was then required to parade with books on my head whilst wearing it to achieve the "deportment" requirement for the module.

A bygone age, and mercifully no pictures survive ...

:oops: :oops: :oops:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm really sorry Sally Anne but I kind if got a vision of a female Mr Blobby with that description of your dress....I am sure it looked amazing but....green...with pink spots?!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Pink, with green spots.

Yep, Mr Blobby, with frills, but a skinny version!

Gaaaah!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Love it :lol: :lol:

(photos outside rehab? :shock: )
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lol! Pink with green spots...oh - that is SO much better than green with pink spots! What was I thinking....?!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now