Huge move in A* grade boundary for OCR maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Huge move in A* grade boundary for OCR maths

Post by moved »

Last year 150/200 was an A*. This year 180/200 was required. I'd love to know how these exams satisfy the OFQUAL five common assessment criteria! The poor kids have no hope in such a changing landscape.

Edit: sorry, this yr 170 - I was misinformed.
Guest55

Re: Huge move in A* grade boundary for OCR maths

Post by Guest55 »

150 was very low compared to other boards!

I understand that A* is awarded to the top 5% or so so maybe the boundary moved to accommodate that criterion?

I found these on OCR - they might tell you more.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/176543-uni ... e-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/176547-pro ... e-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I thought the raw scores were adjusted (fudged :lol: ) so that 90% UMS was always A*.

The underlying raw scores can vary dramatically.
moved

Post by moved »

No UMS for OCR maths. The marks are raw. It amazes me that this level of movement is tolerated. The last few years have all been similar for OCR. A couple of years ago modular Edexcel moved 10 raw marks from the first year. But 30 seems excessive.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Papers must have been too easy - OCR has always had the lowest A* boundary so maybe they have been 'spoken to'.
moved

Post by moved »

They had the lowest boundary because the papers were hardest. Cambridge Assessment proudly told me that their exams were the best preparation for A level and that was why they were so tough.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

moved wrote:They had the lowest boundary because the papers were hardest. Cambridge Assessment proudly told me that their exams were the best preparation for A level and that was why they were so tough.
Agree OCR have historically had the hardest papers and moving towards 90% raw equals 90% ums is tough for the candidates, not a lot of room for one mistake as judged by the mark scheme.

OCR add-maths is a very good preparation for A level maths, tough paper, raw 60% is top grade A, to me it looked like an AS paper.