further maths vs FSMQ

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: further maths vs FSMQ

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks you so much for your answers! That is very helpful. :)

Guest 55, in my DS school, it is the FSMQ which is run, but somebody mentioned to me the further maths at GCSE yesterday and I was taken aback as I just knew about further maths for the 6th form. There is a gap of nine years between my children so things have changed a bit since my DD sat her GCSE. There was no further maths GCSE nor FSMQ at her school in her time; that is for sure as she was good in maths and would have taken it if it was there (she did further maths at A level)… Did these qualifications (further maths and FSMQ) already exist in other schools 9 years ago or are they relatively new qualifications?

Thanks for all your comments.

Useful to know that the top mark is just A for FSMQ. I read on other sites that it is a tough exam so it seems that to get even a B or C is rather good.
in my DS school too, pupil study the syllabus for the FSMQ alongside the GCSE.

[quote/]
DS's school appears to be studying the syllabus for the FSMQ alongside the GCSE one and students will have the choice to ask their parents to pay for them to enter it next year. Or should I take it from his pocket money...? [/quote]
Is this a private school or a GS, Amber? I hope enrolling course won;t bece a matter olf money in state school. In my DS' grammar, there are so many cuts that some subjects like GCSE computing, general studies A level are no more taught. My DS is extremely disappointed by the computing GCSE being no more there as he used to aim at it.

That lead me to another question. Are all the state schools affected in the same way by the cuts decided by the government or do some state schools manage to get more from the ministry of education by some judicious choices? I know that one of a the grammar school in our city has just 25 pupils per class as soon as year 7; in all the other GS in the city, it is 30 to 31 pupils per class. How is this possible?

[quote/] DS2 will be starting the twin pair maths and further maths with an option for fsmq to follow, how many maths exams do you need in life. :lol:[/quote]

Hi stevew61

Good luck to your son!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The FSMQ has been around for many years but Further maths GCSE is a fairly new introduction. I think it was in repsonse to the 'Twin Award' pilot qualifications which give two GCSEs.
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is a GS JayneEyre - the top set sit early Maths iGCSE and the second sets have apparently finished the GCSE course so are doing the FSMQ too, but there is no pressure to take the exam and if they want to do it, there is an exam fee to pay.

G55 - we don't choose this stuff. DD was made to sit her Maths GCSE a year early and then there was a year to fill and it was FSMQ and that was it. I would far rather my children sat their GCSEs all together at the end of Year 11* but it wasn't an option. DD had to do early Maths and DS had to do early English. I raised a stink, as you would expect me to, in both cases and it did no good. Happily both did rather well but that isn't the point - I still object.

I got the impression that the double Further Maths/Stats thing had been invented to sell to schools as something for their early sitters who did GCSE in Year 10 to do if they weren't 'high-flyers' but were OK for some slightly more advanced stuff rather than sitting still for a year. Perhaps now that the early GCSE is being discouraged, the market for this kind of add-on will diminish. Exam boards do like to make money and this is how they do it.

* actually I would rather see an end to the nonsense of terminal exams in Y11, especially now it is far from terminal. GCSEs are not necessary at all imho.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Parents have to give permission for early entry ... schools CAN'T force you but may pretend they can.

It is all about racking up GCSE points (for the school) and certainly not for the students benefit. Thank goodness the fad of early entry seems to be waning ...
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DS did several GCSEs early - we were not given any choice, and in any case, if an entire year group take e.g. English Language in year 10 and Literature in year 11 how could one child not do that - English Language was not taught in year 11. Ditto D&T. The whole year group started one of the D&T subjects in year 9 and took the exam in year 10 - an individual child could not have taken it in year 11 as it was not taught, there was no space in the timetable and the course work was finished in year 10. We did not give permission for him to take any subject at any time and none of my friends with children at a variety of schools have ever been asked permission either.

I'm not that keen on early entry, but at the end of the day it hasn't done DS any harm (12A*, 1A, an ict qualification and an A in AS maths - and don't get me started on early AS levels!) but some of his classmates may have done better if they could have waited.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

@ guest 55: thanks for your explanations. :)
@ Amber: Thanks for your answer, Amber. I will have to enquire properly at DS’s school if the maths GCSE is at the end of year 10 or 11 for the pupils who do the FSMQ.
I would hate my DS to have to sit an early English, maybe with maths it is a bit easier, but with English, not everyone (especialy boys, rolling eyes... + sad face) come quickly to the right level of maturity.

I strongly believe it is wrong to have different exam boards. Frankly I do not see the point and I think it is a far less transparent and fair system than a unique one. Do people at university admission take the time to see at which board the GCSE was obtained? I doubt it entirely. So things are not fair and it is a shame.

For the GCSEs, I can understand that coursework has to be removed to be sure that pupils do not get extra help. But I really feel that the exams should stay modular for children at GCSE age. As for the AS level, I really thinks like Guest 55 and dread the future. I do hope idealistic projects will be dropped after some proper thoughts about the reality.

@2childmum - well done to your DS! Such splendid results!! Best luck to him!
It seems that at my DS GS there is no early entry.. and the number of GCSE is 'stuck' at 10 (my DD did more at her GS). It is incredible how GS are different from one to another. Choices are made and pupils have to bear them, whether they (or their parents) like it or not.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

JaneEyre wrote: I will have to enquire properly at DS’s school if the maths GCSE is at the end of year 10 or 11 for the pupils who do the FSMQ.
It seems that at my DS GS there is no early entry.. and the number of GCSE is 'stuck' at 10 (my DD did more at her GS). It is incredible how GS are different from one to another. Choices are made and pupils have to bear them, whether they (or their parents) like it or not.

Hope you had a lovely holiday, JaneEyre!

And since your boy is at the same school as mine and ds1 has just been through it... :wink: only the top 2 sets do the FSMQ. They do finish the GCSE course by the start of Y11 but do not sit the exam early. Y11 is dedicated to the FSMQ.

So the max number of GCSE grades they'll get at CHB is 10 A* and an A in FSMQ. Incidentally, the boys at chb (including mine- I'm relieved to say- you know how laid back he was) did rather well this year. Off hand, we know of at least 10 boys who scored 10 A* (last year, before any re-marks, it was only 3 boys). Do they really need to do more than 10 GCSEs? Personally, I think 9 is enough.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi DIYMum,

Thank your so much for your explanations, DIYMum, I won't need to ask the school then :)
Congratulations to your DS! It is wonderful he got excellent results.
Is there a link on the schoolwebsite where the GCSE results are reported? I can't find anything.

Wishing you the easiest possible birth of DC6 .... if a delivery can be easy! :(