Geography vs Art, Stressy DD !

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

modernista

Geography vs Art, Stressy DD !

Post by modernista »

Hi My DD is about to choose her GCSE subjects and seems quite stressed about it. I have told her that as she doesnt have a clear idea of what to do, she can only take some 'safe' subjects and adjust later at A level/ Uni if needed. Apart from the Maths Science and usual subjects the school makes them do, she is planning to take Latin and Music. She likes Human Geography but claims it is only a third of the subject. So she is tending to Art instead. I think not taking any social sciences shows a lack of breadth in your study or is that compensated by two Arts?
Guest55

Re: Geography vs Art, Stressy DD !

Post by Guest55 »

Is she aware of the impact of Art coursework? It seems to overwhelm many and then the exam means they miss lessons close to the final exams so key revision time is lost.

If she loves Art and is aware of this then she is choosing with her eyes open. I think I'd tend towards Geography ... but check on the price of coursework 'visit'.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Do they only offer Human Geography? Not Geography?
modernista

Post by modernista »

Hi G55,

Thanks for the reply,

She is aware that Art takes a loooot oftime but I wasnt aware that the exam means you have to actually miss lessons. Can you expand?

She is very good at drawing but is not sold on Art as a professional choice. This may be because I am a design professional!

Geography visit is to a home county which is one of the reasons she is not so keen!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The final Art exam is many hours 18 or so? The only way of scheduling this is, for example, three full days of school or several hours a day.

This exam is at the beginning of May and just before other GCSEs start. This means Art GCSE students miss key lessons near the end of the course ...

I'm not up to speed with the new Art CSE so do check on the length of the final exam.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Lady Muck,

They offer the standard geography but she is only interested in Human Geog. According to her, 25% of the coursework is on the visit. Of the rest of the 75%, lets say half is physical geog and half is human geog. She says it is not worth doing a subject if she only likes just above a third. She has persuasive powers!

G55, Thanks for flagging this up. Will definately look into this. She will not be strssed in the 18 hr exam as her classwork has always been better than her homework but equally last minute revision is very important to her.

She mentioned something about the change of boards so I can look this up as well as ask in the parents evening. Thanks for practical advice..
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If she doesn't "love" art, then she may well find it is a real bind, with most people in my son's class that are doing it, literally spending their break and lunchtimes in the art room, usually just to keep up. To keep a good general base of GCSEs, and to allow for a change of heart, then having a humanity like Geography or History is a good choice (in fact, most school set the options so that you HAVE to take at least one or the other, if not both.

Fundamentally, unless she is prepared to put in the hours for the Art, then it is one of those things that she can always do as a hobby alongside her other subjects.
modernista

Post by modernista »

She actually 'loves' drawing... its one of the few non screen things she will do voluntarily. Her drawing skills are good. She is also extremely competent with her hands but not necessarily interested in crafty things.

I didnt do art in school but am in a creative profession now so I do understand these things can be picked up later.

I think the key is to try and understand the Art syllabus and how much of drawing is involved. She is particularly exasperated with collages.

She is puzzled as to why I am not more enthusiatic. I suppose you are aware of the pitfalls of the subjects you are familiar with.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Does anyone know if you can do Social sciences in A levels or Uni without a GCSE?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD had to drop geography at GCSE (didn't want to, but looong story) and was told that she could do A level without (is that what you mean by social sciences??). She didn't so I don't know if she really could have done. I don't know about university though ( you could probably return to it with GCSE but no A level, but I would be surprised if you could do it without either - however I'm not expert - look at course requirements for a few universities?
scary mum