Questions to ask a GCSE tutor's references?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

Questions to ask a GCSE tutor's references?

Post by silverysea »

I've got two email addresses of client parents, naming the tutees which I think is a bit off, in my town, from a tutor.

Interestingly I recognise one as a high flyer in dd1's year, who dd regards as an example of why dd isn't that smart, since this girl does "nothing" but gets higher marks. She's still in Year 10. Yeah, right! She in fact gets a one-on-one hour with an experienced tutor with Cambridge science PhD every week.

Hopefully when I contact the parents my different surname will confuse them as to dds identity.

I've had a poor tutor last year I had to sack, who was very pleasant, had lovely recent references, but clearly had short term memory loss! Same conversation and questions not only every session but before and after session, and same lesson/hobbyhorse ramblings every week. I hope I can do better this time.
silverysea

Re: Questions to ask a GCSE tutor's references?

Post by silverysea »

No? My mind has gone blank "would you recommend dr x" "what are his strengths/weaknesses"

Not exactly incisive.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd avoid anyone who tells you who else they are helping - not very professional.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks I think I will.

What about the next one, has anyone found any killer questions that will weed out the flops from the fab?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Why not try 2 or 3 and see which tutor has the best rapport with our DC.
I don't think a tutor needs to be at Oxbridge PhD level to teach the contents of any GCSE-syllabus (Quantum Mechanics maybe)

1 lesson trail with each applicant tutor then choose the best fit :idea:
piggys

Post by piggys »

Hi silverysea. I do a lot of GCSE tuition for students all across my local area and some come from quite a way away. I have never really been 'interviewed' by parents but I do have a detailed document which I send to interested parties which outlines my academic background, teaching credentials and teaching experience. Info like this should be readily available from any potential tutors. A key factor should be how far the tutor is au fait with current syllabus requirements and the different boards as well - for example, I teach the AQA, EDEXCEL and also the EDEXCEL iGCSE versions of my subject (barely any schools follow OCR but I am still au fait with it)- knowledge like this is critical. They should also fully understand the assessment objectives and how the subjects are marked too - have they had any experience marking for the exam boards? I have marked for two. This stuff helps IMO. Also, have they taught the subject in a school, successfully? that would be the dealbreaker for me. If I was sending my dd to a tutor I would want someone with good practical experience of delivering that subject in a classroom.

I think there are lots of very good people out there but equally I am often a bit :o at how unqualified and inexperienced people take up tutoring because they think it's easy money.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now