Top 100 secondary schools by GCSE results 2014

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Top 100 secondary schools by GCSE results 2014

Post by Daogroupie »

Vas, do you have any children at Secondary state schools?

I am puzzled by your comment that " MOST state schools force their students to take 12 or 13 regardless of if they enjoy it or not and drag it out with course work?"

I don't know any state schools who force their students to take lots of GCSE's and the coursework is part of the GCSE, the school is not controlling that.

Can you give some examples of all these state schools forcing their students to take lots of GCSEs and do unnecessary coursework?

Thanks DG
vas

Post by vas »

Daogroupie wrote:Vas, do you have any children at Secondary state schools?
No, I have nieces and nephews in top grammars and comprehensive. All of them had to or are doing a minimum of 12, 12.5 or 13. My nephew was forced to do his RS in year 9 or had to give a letter to the head with reasons. They all also had to do a short course (1/2 a GCSE?) in some subject. Perhaps some children absolutely enjoy every bit of every subject, but for the ones who don't, and struggle to choose even 10 (my son, my nephew) this can be a drawn out process doing exams over 3 years!

I also know they come out of it all fine, but the reason the top grammars are not in the GCSE league table, I believe is because of this inflexible approach when universities don't ask for more than 9/10.

It's certainly easier to get better grades when you can focus on fewer subjects.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

vas - this is not a proof of your statement. No-one can make you do an early GCSE - it's against exam board regs and parents could have refused.

The GS I know don't do that many - and yes, that's not a proof either ...

I am not posting on the thread again because of the abuse I received for telling the truth...
vas

Post by vas »

Guest55 wrote:vas - this is not a proof of your statement. No-one can make you do an early GCSE - it's against exam board regs and parents could have refused
Guest 55, I have nothing to prove or prejudices against any system; I know more impressionable youngsters from grammars than independent.
I was only disagreeing to your explanation for the absence of state schools in the GCSE league with a different view point.

I think we're all very aware that top schools (state or private) have practices (this is how we do things here) which is rarely challenged, especially if you want the child to continue there.
Guest55 wrote:The GS I know don't do that many
Don't see why you don't mention how many?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know any at my DS's state grammar school doing more than 10 or 11 (which I consider is still too many) - it was the same a few years ago & is the same for my younger DS who has just chosen his options. It is much harder than previously as they are all terminal exams now so I hope they reduce the number soon (will be too late for my DCs). Sorry, veering off topic.
scary mum
moved

Post by moved »

Both of mine have a silly number of GCSEs from their grammars. They coped with the work and gained a broad education. If we took away the pathetic league tables they could celebrate that success rather than consider the odd dropped star a misfortune.

I don't see the need to certificate everything but my very narrow 8 O' levels reduced my choices and precluded me from any creative or tech subject.

Balance is needed. Data is the death of a broad education in primaries; let's not wish that on secondaries too.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

QE only allow the top two sets (60 boys) out of 180 do Triple Science, the other 120 are not allowed to take the three and can only take Double Science. Beaumont, an outstanding comprehensive in St Albans only allows one class out of six classes to do Triple Science, the other 150 can only do Double Science. Some examples of good schools who deny their students the chance to do more GCSEs not force them into it.

I don't know any school that forces students to take more GCSEs They might offer them the chance but they don't force them.

As for Coursework I don't know any school who would want you to do more than the required amount.

State practices are in fact challenged all the time. HBS had to give up charging for juice and biscuits at the exam and DAO asking for stamps. State schools are not allowed to interview candidates and both the DAO sibling critieria and the catchment area critieria has been challenged legally in the last six years and the cross sibling rule is currently being challenged for the second time in four years in Watford.

All the state schools have also been forced to move their exams from January and November to September and give out results before the CAF, though a few like HBS are flouting this. So I don't think it is really true to claim that state school practices are not challenged. DG
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

There are a whole chunk of schools in the middle of the table who have a very small number of pupils - as low as 6. Looking at the schools they seem to offer a limited curriculum and opportunities and for one I looked at the secular teaching is assessed as adequate; with the sorts of number in a class it is easy to see the kids will get more personal attention but is it really right to compare it with schools with a 100+ in a year?
I guess it is great for the school to say they are number blah in the top 100 schools :wink:
NorthLondonMummy

Post by NorthLondonMummy »

Daogroupie wrote:QE only allow the top two sets (60 boys) out of 180 do Triple Science, the other 120 are not allowed to take the three and can only take Double Science. Beaumont, an outstanding comprehensive in St Albans only allows one class out of six classes to do Triple Science, the other 150 can only do Double Science. Some examples of good schools who deny their students the chance to do more GCSEs not force them into it.

I don't know any school that forces students to take more GCSEs They might offer them the chance but they don't force them.

As for Coursework I don't know any school who would want you to do more than the required amount.

State practices are in fact challenged all the time. HBS had to give up charging for juice and biscuits at the exam and DAO asking for stamps. State schools are not allowed to interview candidates and both the DAO sibling critieria and the catchment area critieria has been challenged legally in the last six years and the cross sibling rule is currently being challenged for the second time in four years in Watford.

All the state schools have also been forced to move their exams from January and November to September and give out results before the CAF, though a few like HBS are flouting this. So I don't think it is really true to claim that state school practices are not challenged. DG
How about Latymer (Edmonton) - do they allow triple science to all?

Any other differences in the Curriculum of QE and Latymer at GCSE level? Thank you
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

No doubt someone with a DC at Latymer will be able to confirm, but according to the website, everyone does triple science:

http://www.latymer.co.uk/curriculum
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now