expelled-what next?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MamaBear

Re: expelled-what next?

Post by MamaBear »

Cleo you are absolutely right, her first choice (my old school!) is brilliant and will give the 1:1 support. The downside is: its a rough, it was in my day and is getting worse, lots of boys hanging outside, gang culture, this is in good old London.. so my friend wanted to protect her from all that hence the good indie.

I told her she has done all she could, no other indie will take her, (no space in yr 10 and a little matter of a really bad school report) you can't protect them forever, hopefully dd will appreciate all my friend has and will carry on doing.
copella

Post by copella »

Agree support from camhs to help her guardians and assess the merits of medication and hopefully an Education Psychology assessment in her new school to see if she needs and meets the criteria for the extra funding an education care and health plan may give.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

She was actually discharged from CAMHS and the ed psych report didn't go well as she found the whole thing "boring"!

Hopefully my friend will hear from the council soon ( can take up to 4 weeks) and get dd the counselling and support she needs.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

If able to pay for indie, might they stretch to a private psych counsellor?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Even Private schools have to follow their rules - what does the policy/contract say? Court cases are on record where expulsion has been overturned.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

I have seen several private school contracts and they all say the HT has right to remove any pupil at their discretion or similar wording. In any case if the school have lost the will to work with the child there is no point in being there .A fresh start somewhere else is the only way .
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

dd hates the school and her teachers, i hope she can start afresh and not get labelled. the school said they hadnt the resources to cope with her and the other girls were getting annoyed with dd for constantly disrupting the class. its not fair on them, their parents are paying a lot.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

She sounds like a very troubled person who needs a lot of support to learn to understand and manage her emotions and behaviour. I have been interested in this charity for a while and they seem to offer school based counselling in many schools around London.

http://www.place2be.org.uk/training-qua ... -approach/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.place2be.org.uk/what-we-do/where-we-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The main issue with counselling is being able to establish a working relationship between a counsellor and the client. That has to come from the girl herself wanting to engage which I guess is likely to be tricky with many teen girls. They may be able to offer some ideas and support to her guardian though. It might be worth contacting them to see if they can offer details of anyone experienced with teen counselling if private therapy / counselling would be an option.
copella

Post by copella »

The thing about placetobe is that it is school based with little interaction with the external world for the child. There seem to be many reasons why she is behaving like this, issues of loss and separation as she is with a guardian, all the reasons why this occurred plus her ADHD and possibly other issues. It seems a more systemic approach is needed. I would suggest a re referral back to camhs as she clearly is very troubled and it would be awful if the new school also struggled to manage her.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

thank you so much everyone for your suggestions, my friend is very grateful and we hope that dd settles down, accepts the help given and fulfils her potential.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now