World English gcse

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quasimodo

Re: World English gcse

Post by quasimodo »

In my youngest dd's new school in September her year group will learn German and Russian as the language choices and begin the Cambridge Latin course the following year which is one third language.The year before had to do French and Japanese and then add Latin in their second year.Neither European languages my dd has to do would be my choice with me preferring Spanish or French.We have the given "choices" and we will see whether my dd enjoys them in deciding her GCSE choices in 3 years time as she will have to do at least one language and can pick a new language for GCSE in addition to an existing language.The balance is already made whatever she is good at we will do bearing in mind she has to do maths, the 2 English language and Literature subjects as well as the three sciences as well as history or geography I would prefer her to do both as I think she will be good at both.She may be asked to do further maths since it is her best subject and the one she enjoys the most.

With my eldest dd she took home catering and which wasn't examinable and therefore she took 10 GCSE's instead of 11 at a different school.With my youngest the maximum they do is 10 but she may want to do PE which is a GCSE as she loves her sports.Whatever choices are made there is balance.If she does further maths then she could do 11.

It is a pity world literature isn't an option as an alternative to English literature or an addition at my dds new school for those who desire it.We would only choose it as an alternative as English hasn't been my dd's strongest subject to date.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is no compulsion to do history or geography at GCSE ...

You will be bound by the school's policy whatever that is at the time!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:There is no compulsion to do history or geography at GCSE ...

You will be bound by the school's policy whatever that is at the time!
The school presently have the options to allow you to do both. Me my wife and my eldest at GCSE have done both subjects and all enjoyed them.We all did one or the other or both at A level.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That does not mean your other child(ren) will want to do them ... there is no 'must' about taking one.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Its what we regard as part of a balanced and broad education up until GCSE in learning about our planet and its past.

Abraham Lincoln
KB

Post by KB »

I believe by the time DD in question gets to GCSE it may be compulsory to take History or Geography - was a Tory manifesto pledge.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think Geography should be compulsory. Both my dds are doing both. I am amazed at how few do Geography at our school. The issues are so relevant to their future. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why not Technology then? Far more relevant .... or music ... or etc

A case could be made for many subjects ... Geography GCSE is a very uninspiring course at the moment.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Maybe for some most of my nephews and nieces have done the subject and enjoyed it one of my nieces is currently doing it at A level and my eldest dd is proposing to do a whole career in sustainability which involves geography.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't get me wrong.
Geography is an interesting subject - it's the GCSE content and the contrived nature of the coursework that's uninspiring.