What will year 9 GCSE students be doing in 2015-2016?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moon unit

What will year 9 GCSE students be doing in 2015-2016?

Post by Moon unit »

My DS will be starting his GCSE courses in September. As far as I can gather apart from maths and English no syllabuses are currently available. I feel very sorry for teachers that they will have this year where they have to muddle through.
Does anyone know how this will be done. Will they just teach the old material and hope for the best? Or have I got it wrong. Is it just that the grades will be 9-1 and otherwise the syllabuses will be essentially unchanged?
booellesmum

Re: What will year 9 GCSE students be doing in 2015-2016?

Post by booellesmum »

Hi, DD at SCGSG. Starting year 10 Sept 2015. We were told only Maths and English changing the year they take GCSE's. Will therefore get a 9-1 grade for English and Maths but everything else will be unchanged and still be A-E.
I was first year GCSE when it changed from O level and knowing what a nightmare that was regarding syllabuses I think the gradual change is very sensible.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello Moonunit. The new Year 10 students will be the last year under the old syllabi for every subject other than English and Maths; only English and Maths will be awarded numbers 1 - 9. If your child is doing the standard GCSE, the old grading A* - G will apply.

New English and Maths specifications have been produced and teachers are following them closely. For the other subjects, draft specifications are out and these will be finalised over the course of the year.

You don't need to worry. No teacher will be teaching the old material and just hoping for the best!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think Moon unit is asking about 3 year GCSE starting in Year 9 so sitting in 2018 ...
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Thanks for your replies.
You are correct Guest55.My son is starting 3 year GCSE courses in year 9 this September.As far as I am aware only the syllabuses for maths and English are available for Sept.Just wondering what they would be doing in the other subjects.
I'm very much a trust the school they know what they are doing type.Just curious really.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are draft specs on exam board websites but since the latest maths specimen papers (for 2017) were only issued recently it is a worry. Another reason why 3 year courses are not always a good idea.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Just about every secondary school in Wokingham does three year GCSEs, one even had the year 8s choose their options this year for the first time, they were the last ones to change. Of all the years to choose to change too.

Thankfully DD chooses in year 9 this time around. It was a minor reason for wanting GS rather than catchment school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now