Taking GCSE privately

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Taking GCSE privately

Post by Guest55 »

supermummy - she will have to declare that grade on her UCAS form. Failure to do so will be regarded a fraudulent application.

Foundation GCSE is not 'fun' and certainly ddn't have the same problem solving focus as now. Have you read the ACME paper?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

But whats the point?

To supermummy I mean, not sure what the point is? Can parents not fulfil their super-clever children's need to learn in other ways? Why an exam?
Amber

Post by Amber »

supermummy wrote: I myself was put in very early for external exams and shock horror came out fine.
I wasn't, and so did I. If 'coming out fine' was the only point of education then that assertion might have some teeth.
My father smoked heavily and it contributed to his very early death.
My grandmother smoked heavily and lived to a ripe old age.
Same argument.
Yamin151 wrote:But whats the point?
+1. Absolutely no idea. None. I just hope people who do this don't go shouting to the school that their children are bored in Year 10. This country is obsessed with exams. It drives me nuts!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Feel the same every time I hear a scratchy, ear splitting solo by a violinist who is on paper a grade 6 or whatever. These children are put through exams, granted its often by their own pushing, as they feel that to be able to say you are Grade 6 gives a kudos that doesn't come from just saying you play and enjoy the violin. I get far more pleasure from listening to a Grade 3 violinist who has played a range of music at their given grade, than a Grade 6 violinist who has simply learnt the pieces required to get them through another exam (hey, what a progidy, and don't forget, points for UCAS!!), but has no idea of musicality or any ability to play around their grade. Its an competitive obsession. What happened to just playing for pleasure, for yourself and other peoples pleasure, for the satisfaction of developing ability, not ticks on a form? Same wtih maths, there are so many wonderful ways to stretch, challenge and engage this student - how lovely they are so eager. I would have thought a sure way to put them off a maths career is to single them out from all thier peers, bring them boredom further along the line and make a job out of a hobby.
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

Sorry I missed the kerfuffle on my last post. Just to be clear:

1) all results declared at all stages - we just didn't make a fuss/show off about it (why would we)
2) Some people (myself included) do find exams fun - she did and no harm done
3) There does not have to be a point - it very much depends on DC. DD2 just as capable did not feel the need/ interest at that stage and it did not come up.

Wondering why the feeling is so strong on this topic? I just thought OP should hear both sides.

sm
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The feeling is strong - and I note you did not say whether you've read the ACME paper - because there are many educationalists that have proved early entry is not a good idea. In mathematics, the evidence is particularly strong and the OP needs to know what experts recommend.

With new maths GCSE specification just started [grades 9 to 1] and a new maths A level [starting 2017] it is additionally a poor decision.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'm not even a fan of doing GCSEs a year early - do I gather that is dying out a little now? I hope so. If there are too many exams to take in one go, or too easy exams meaning little ways to differentiate students, then make the exams fewer or the papers harder for the latter. This of course is separate from the question as to 'one go' exams are better than continuous assessment, but if we are to have one set of GCSEs or A Levels, lets have them all taken the summer of the relevant year, possible to fit in timewise and tough enough to mean A, B, C or 1,2,3 or whatever system has a decent stretch of candidates to differentiate the excellent from the good.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'd be bit worried supermummy - Guest55 will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the swing with UCAS/universities now that they will only count your FIRST attempt at an exam...regardless of how many years early it was taken...so your DD may "only" be credited with a C grade at Foundation, (which for many Unis will not be classed as a high enough C to meet the 5 GCSEs at A-C including Maths and English) - and certainly wouldn't be high enough for science based degrees (or many A levels, incidentally).

Hopefully I am wrong and it is not just your first attempt...I know that is the case for Medicine and other super competitive science type degrees...(they want them all taken at the same time).

(edited because auto correct changed supermummy to supremacy :shock: !!)
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes kenyancowgirl, a very good point - any future GCSE would be regarded as a 'resit' and rule you out of a competitive course. Some unis specifically require 'no resits' - the more prestigious the more fussy and I can only see it getting worse.

A grade 'C' will stick out a mile amongst those GCSEs with numbers as grades.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

So what maths did she then do for 5 years of secondary school while everyone else in her year was working towards taking GCSE maths in year 11?
tiffinboys wrote:Possibly A level maths, or further maths, or maths degree course etc.
Regardless of whether taking a GCSE early is a good idea how would this work? Would a bright 11 year old who took maths GCSE in year 6 join an A level maths class full of 16 year olds? That doesn't sound very practical does it? :?