GCSE's for 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
buzzybee

Re: GCSE's for 2018

Post by buzzybee »

Languages are not compulsory at dd's GS. Guest55, she is thinking possibly drama as her reserve choice. It would go well with dance, I agree.

We have a parent's GCSE evening tomorrow night at the school, so hopefully it will help with the decision.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Agree that drama sounds like a good option for buzzybees DD to go with dance, but I'd always thought that in the past universities liked to see at least 1 MFL GCSE regardless of what subject was being applied for, hence the reason many schools make it compulsory?

Perhaps that's not the case these days though? Guest55 would know more about it than me.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you check on the RG website then it is clear than an MFL is not necessary

"Is it true that a modern foreign language at GCSE or equivalent is required for entry to Russell Group universities?

Our institutions very much value language skills but there is no universal entry requirement that students must have studied a modern foreign language at GCSE or equivalent. However, there may be course-specific requirements, so we strongly encourage students to check universities’ websites for details of these.

Currently University College London (UCL) is the only Russell Group institution to require a modern language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. However if you did not take a Modern foreign language GCSE, or if you got a D grade or below you can still apply to any UCL degree programme, and it won’t negatively affect your application. You will not be rejected just because you don’t have it but you will need to complete a short course in a modern foreign language, either on a summer school or in the first year of your degree, to catch up."

Is it true that a modern foreign language at GCSE or equivalent is required for entry to Russell Group universities?

Our institutions very much value language skills but there is no universal entry requirement that students must have studied a modern foreign language at GCSE or equivalent. However, there may be course-specific requirements, so we strongly encourage students to check universities’ websites for details of these.

Currently University College London (UCL) is the only Russell Group institution to require a modern language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. However if you did not take a Modern foreign language GCSE, or if you got a D grade or below you can still apply to any UCL degree programme, and it won’t negatively affect your application. You will not be rejected just because you don’t have it but you will need to complete a short course in a modern foreign language, either on a summer school or in the first year of your degree, to catch up.

[from http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/ ... d-college/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

I was told I needed Latin O level to go to university - again I later found that was not true - there was no internet to check that for myself in those days!
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Thanks for clarifying G55.

Any idea why a MFL GCSE is compulsory at many schools then if not considered necessary by RG unis?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - it's the Govian ebacc!

Also I think it's good to learn another language and appreciate how grammar works in another country. Certainly I'd encourage a language - but academic students who are dyslexic or have other strengths may be better advised to 'play on those strengths'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We have an uncomfortable relationship with foreign language learning in England, partly arising from a nasty sniff of lingering colonialism which makes us think everyone else ought to learn English. There is also another thing - I am constantly told that I have some kind of 'gift' because I speak a lot of languages, and to me that is utter nonsense - it happens to be something I have loved and worked at and enjoyed mastering. There is a mystique about being good at languages which doesn't extend to other subjects and I think deconstructing that would be a good start - in other words not saying children need to have 'an ear for languages' if they are going to bother studying them. We wouldn't say a child needed to be 'a natural chemist' or 'a talented historian' for them to be encouraged to study those subjects.

As a linguist I would argue always for a foreign language as it is the door to a cultural awareness which can never really come if you are monolingual. And as a nation now ill at ease around debates to do with 'foreign' culture I see even more value in things which might make us more alive to issues around migration and multiculturalism. Unless there is a specific linguistic issue then I do think all young people should study another language - and I am not yet totally persuaded that most dyslexic people couldn't benefit in some way too. Though of course I don't believe in high stakes exams at 16, which would make it a lot easier for everyone to try without the fear of failure hanging over them.

Bottom line - unless there is a good reason not to, I would say always choose a language. You're better educated with it.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm afraid that I can only partly agree with you Amber, I do think that wherever possible studying a language is a hugely beneficial and I would encourage anybody to do it but not everybody finds it easy and it's not down to the teaching or not working at it.

You write from the viewpoint of being a linguist. For those of us who have truly struggled with MFL at GCSE / O level, it's not just a case of better teaching, putting our mind to it or just plain working harder. Like my husband you come at this with a confirmed aptitude for language learning and perhaps can't appreciate how hard it can actually be. I consider myself to be fairly well educated and reasonably intelligent. At 11yo I was a Kent scholar and I managed a decent handful of O and A levels (including Latin at A level), a good degree and a couple of professional qualifications. I wouldn't say I'm stupid but I took my French O Level five times before I passed, I just didn't "get it". In the end i just had to memorise universal sentences that would fit a number of scenarios and pray for a kind oral examiner! For me it would have been so much better not to do that O level, but unfortunately in those days an MFL was a requirement for university.

As an adult I'm hugely envious of those that "get" languages and of ds1 who is following in his father's footsteps and wanting to do languages at university. From this side of the fence the ability to easily learn languages is very much in the same camp as being artistic or musical, there is a natural aptitude which we just don't have.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now