Is Full on Humanities and Sciences too much?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Is Full on Humanities and Sciences too much?

Post by Guest55 »

KCG - I did mean academic children at GS but Bucks GS do select a broader range - the top third roughly.

Not all GS students are strong in Humanities - why would they be? Some are brilliant musicians, actors, designers, sportsmen/women, ...

Fortunately students are not all the same ability profile - part of the reasons teaching is such fun.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

Thank you to everyone for your responses
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Quasi, RE is compulsory in lots of schools (they have to study it as part of the curriculum anyway, so some schools think they may as well study a GCSE in it!)

I like the "new" RE - as compared to the more "Bible Study" focus of O level. It is more "common sense" with a stress on Philosophy and Ethics, and involves a study of several religions and their different approaches to the same problem - it also focuses more on "your" opinion - we should all have one and be able to justify why we have it - it's not about being right or wrong and is about being able to appreciate why someone has a different opinion - which I think is a good skill to have. I hope it doesn't change too much...
I'd agree. I think that this kind of modern approach to RS which includes ethics and a broad study of several religions is terribly important when so much argument and rhetoric swirls around us about religion vs politics in wars and atrocities. Surely young people. Well educated as possible in a wide range of religions and philosophical discussion around them has to be a good thing.

It's all time and space on the timetable of course.
My DS doing get triple science, history and geography AND art. Yikes!! He is an academic boy as KCG mentions, at our school it tends to be encouraged to do both these humanities subjects. RS they do but I believe get out of the way a year early as they do this 3 year KS4.
I think dS would find lots of maths far more an on rous workload than loads of english/history/geography, although I obviously hope homework will be balanced through the week!