GCSE's 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: GCSE's 2018

Post by Guest55 »

JaneEyre, I think it depends on the subject - modules suit some subjects better than other.

Triple science seemd sensible to be modular - now they have to take 9 exams at once which is not ideal.

Some schools started putting students in early [Year 8 in some schools] so they sat Maths GCSE over and over again until they got their grade C - that's the bad side.

Personally I'd ban early entry entirely in most subjects - I see no reason for it. I'd suggest a mix of modular and linear - whichever is better for learning the subject.

However, I am very concerned about linear A levels ... I remember what it was like pre modules.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Linear exams have been going on for sometime with igcse. At my son's school(co-ed) boys do as well as girls bucking the general trend for gcse's where girls do significantly better than boys.

At A level boys got 98% A-B at A level and girls only 93% in 2015.
(caveat - very small sample but the same trend has persisted over many years)

So it looks as if linear exam suit boys more than girls.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you for your answer, Guest 55. :D

Agree totally with your post... or I wish there would still be AS and A2 like before, the AS being part of the A2, and with exams at the end of year 12 covering year 12, and at the end of year 13 to cover year13. That would also be so much easier for universities to select their students!
Hard times for our DC... :? :?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Catseye wrote:So it looks as if linear exam suit boys more than girls.
Sorry Catseye, I hadn't seen your post when answering to Guest55... You cheer me up a little bit! :) It might not be a disaster then! :? :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now