GCSE A*- G vs. 9 - 1 system

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ahap

Re: GCSE A*- G vs. 9 - 1 system

Post by ahap »

DS is in yr10 and goes to a state school. He will be doing the Edexcel for some subjects including Maths which I think is the IGCSEs, but the grading system we were told would be 9-1 for Maths and English.

edited: English is AQA
Last edited by ahap on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Ladymuck wrote:As for year 11, I suspect that they are still following a syllabus in Further Maths or Additional maths GCSE.
I asked DS yesterday whether he knew what they were supposed to do next year if they took their GCSE early, and he said it was going to be 'some higher level maths' in case people wanted to do a maths A level.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ahap wrote:DS is in yr10 and goes to a state school. He will be doing the Edexcel for some subjects including Maths and English which I think is the IGCSEs, but the grading system we were told would be 9-1 for Maths and English.
Ahap, do you mean your DS will be taking both his maths and English IGCSEs early, in year 10, but they will be marked using the new system - or am I misinterpreting your post?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ahap

Post by ahap »

Oh, sorry, I think I missunderstood :oops: DS will be taking it in yr11, 2017.

DS is in yr10 and goes to a state school. He will be sitting his GCSEs in 2017 and will be doing the Edexcel for some subjects including Maths which I think is the IGCSEs, but the grading system we were told would be 9-1 for Maths and English. :)

The school my DS goes to do not encourage early GCSEs.

edited: English is AQA
Last edited by ahap on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ahap wrote:Oh, sorry, I think I missunderstood :oops: DS will be taking it in yr11, 2017.
Don't worry, threads seem to expand into a more general discussion quite often and what you've said is correct - maths and English GCSEs (and possibly IGCSEs) in 2017 will be marked using a number system. I think a lot of parents are not certain what exactly is going on, so that's very useful. (I know I am largely confused! :lol: )
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

ahap wrote:He will be sitting his GCSEs in 2017 and will be doing the Edexcel for some subjects including Maths and English which I think is the IGCSEs, but the grading system we were told would be 9-1 for Maths and English. :)
Being Edexcel doesn't make them iGCSEs - they might be but they might also be normal GCSEs.
Just English and Maths are moving to the 9-1 system for current yr 10 taking at the normal time. For current yr9s the vast majority will be 9-1 system but, as Tinkers said, there are a few like product design which have not got accreditation under the new system yet and so will still be A* to G for at least a further year. By current yr8's exam time they should all be 9-1.

iGCSEs are just a further confusion as they are under a different system and timescale for migration (if at all) - plus they don't contribute to league tables etc so tend to be mostly used by Indies not state schools.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Reading Mum wrote:iGCSEs are just a further confusion as they are under a different system and timescale for migration (if at all) - plus they don't contribute to league tables etc so tend to be mostly used by Indies not state schools.
They will be migrating, too, as new curriculum has been developed - see the link below. The timing is unclear to me though.
Catseye wrote:IGCSEs are also changing to to 9-1

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qu ... idgeigcse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as will all the IGCSE exams??
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The timeline for changes is on the thread I started 'Timeline of reforms'.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 56&t=41824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:The timeline for changes is on the thread I started 'Timeline of reforms'.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 56&t=41824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, that's very helpful. I like the way they laid out the document - jut look up a child's school year as of September 2015 and you will know what they will be doing when.

I just wish they included information on IGCSEs as well, or at least said if they were going to be treated the same as GCSEs timings-wise.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

If it is for my DC, I would not sit for the exam early just to get an A* as the purpose for having the 1-9 grading is to give a better indication of the attainment of the candidate. Although the new grade 8 & 9 are suppose to be equivalent to the current A*, a candidate with a A* would probably in a disadvantage position if he is competing with fellow pupils with the new grade 9?

It is also no point to do it early unless your DC is planning to do extra subjects in Year 11 or he or she is skipping a year etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now