GCSEs 2017

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: GCSEs 2017

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote: Perhaps in hindsight I should have arranged to go away for the 3 weeks preceding. Alone.
:lol: :lol:
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Got all the mocks results - overall DS did ok but there is room for improvement. Time to hide the xBox, methinks. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

PurpleDuck wrote:Got all the mocks results - overall DS did ok but there is room for improvement. Time to hide the xBox, methinks. :)
No, please don't - an XBox session is a brilliant reward - everyone needs down time.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:Got all the mocks results - overall DS did ok but there is room for improvement. Time to hide the xBox, methinks. :)
No, please don't - an XBox session is a brilliant reward - everyone needs down time.
I think I know the directions where you are both coming from. PurpleDuck you are talking about the endless hours your son spends on his X box to the detriment of his revision. Guest55 you are talking about not taking it completely away.

My sister in law had the same problem with her son.These sessions used to go on till the early hours and sometimes through the night.So the X box had to be taken away so that revision could take place but was given back for limited sessions.Its a few years back.He and his friends did quite well in their GCSEs and A levels.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I can see your both points, Guest55 and Quasimodo. :) Yes, xBox it's a great way to relax and catch up with friends and it's those on-line chats while playing that make it so appealing, I think. It can be a difficult balance to strike between making sure they do enough revision and don't start feeling under excessive pressure. So far, I've been making sure that xBox is only allowed after the revision session and not before. What I find really frustrating is that nearly every evening I have to remind DS that he is not allowed on xBox past 8.30pm and nearly every single time he seems surprised that such a rule exists! :roll:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:A2s and GCSEs in this house, like yours Scary. I have just booked a holiday for the day after DS1's A levels finish. Perhaps in hindsight I should have arranged to go away for the 3 weeks preceding. Alone.
Book me in, Amber. Where shall we go? :lol:
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... 61920.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anywhere on this list I think.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... 61920.html

A frightening number of them are in the USA, though :lol:
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:
Amber wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... 61920.html

A frightening number of them are in the USA, though :lol:
Oh. Predictable I suppose. Like all these 'bucket list' things, they all tend to be in America. Forget that then - no desire to return there. I do have a lovely couple of friends on Shetland...

As you were folks, sorry for the diversion.

My GCSE candidate has voluntarily started to leave his phone downstairs while he is working. No coercion or even discussion needed. Quite proud of that really. Wish I could be as disciplined myself. :|
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

First sixth form interview in 2 weeks. Sods law she has to miss double maths for it - the subject where she needs all the help she can get!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now