GCSEs 2017

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

copella

Re: GCSEs 2017

Post by copella »

Still doing mocks here, finish next week. They seem to be ok. The only horror paper so far seems to have been maths non cal which had some difficult questions. The level 9 ones seemed very hard. Also some struggles with timing. We are not too fussed though as they will help us get an idea of how he is doing and tweak revision methods. When my eldest too, them he did not do too well but jumped grades in the real thing. So don't worry too much purpleduck.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you, Copella, that's reassuring. DS keeps telling me that a lot of people go up a grade or two in the real exams compared to the mocks, so it's really good to hear it can be done!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Mocks went well.
Even managed a 6 in maths- glad to see the tutor is worth it as she was a 4 last year!
Can't wait for it to all be over. Think I am more stressed than she is.
I spent Saturday night googling exam board timetables and trying to work out the dates for the real things.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

We finish ours the is week - going fine but some issues with timing
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mocks are an opportunity to practise the timings and find gaps in learning.

All students should improve by the summer - the ones that don't have usually got the mocks paper from a tutor or online website so haven't had to face any 'surprises'.

Make sure they get the paper back and go through it making notes on where their gaps are. A good teachers will also use the results to target group and individual revision sessions.
Amber

Post by Amber »

booellesmum wrote:Mocks went well.
Even managed a 6 in maths- glad to see the tutor is worth it as she was a 4 last year!
Can't wait for it to all be over. Think I am more stressed than she is.
I spent Saturday night googling exam board timetables and trying to work out the dates for the real things.
Mine has his summer exam timetable from school now so you shouldn't need to do that.
23 exams over three weeks, two of which have exams on every day and some of these with 2 exams in a day. Horrible. Posters stressing over the number of GCSEs your child is doing and hoping for more - please don't . This is 10.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I am sure the school will provide something soon - I am just too nosey!
DD seems to have exams from May 18th to June 21st.
Looks like 19 exams so quite spread out - but I've probably missed something!
She did RS last year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

booellesmum wrote:I am sure the school will provide something soon - I am just too nosey!
DD seems to have exams from May 18th to June 21st.
Looks like 19 exams so quite spread out - but I've probably missed something!
She did RS last year.
It's always useful to know where to find the original, for those mornings when the school copy has gone walkabout and one of you thinks that day's exam is at 9am and the other is convinced that it's at 1.30pm...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Our school has the timetable on the school website as well as sending it home with them. All seems a bit more real!
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

A2s and GCSEs in this house, like yours Scary. I have just booked a holiday for the day after DS1's A levels finish. Perhaps in hindsight I should have arranged to go away for the 3 weeks preceding. Alone.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now