GCSE Mock Tests

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11nuts

GCSE Mock Tests

Post by 11nuts »

Hi everyone,

Could someone please help, not sure were to start with this but DS is starting GCSEs and want to support him as much as possible.

Would anyone know where i can find mock tests for GCSE's (AQA) and if there are any mock test centres in London i can take him too?

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards, SK.
Guest55

Re: GCSE Mock Tests

Post by Guest55 »

The school will provide all the tests he needs.
copella

Post by copella »

11nuts relax. I had one son at a comp and the other goes to a grammar. Like g55 says the school will test them. Of course you should use past papers as part of revision and you can get papers from the exam board sites. The school should have told you the boards by know. But at both my sons schools they went through past questions in class and had mocks at the end of the year or the beginning of the spring term after Christmas. If you are worried or want advice re exams talk to the school most also run revision sessions for pupils.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Most schools will do mocks under formal exam conditions ie as close to the "real thing" as possible. Some schools are even doing 2 rounds of mocks in year 1 as standard (will someone think of the markers?!). Not sure that there is much of a market (or time) for additional mocks. Also his teachers will know the order that they have covered subjects and use the mock results to inform revision sessions.

Is there a reason why you're worried by the teaching? Ie lots of supply?
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

I want to try and measure his performances. I.e. I know the schools are doing them also but would like to try and do some ones at home or at a center. Seems bizarre that i can not find any!

I am not panicking, just yet, but would like to catch it early. Certainly don't want any surprises.

With kind regards, SK.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The only mocks I came across when I was looking for DD who was retaking so wasn't in school to do mocks (for A level) were attached to very expensive crammer courses. I am still being hounded by the one I approached to see if she could just sit the mocks a couple of years on.
scary mum
copella

Post by copella »

11nuts, schools are pretty good at measuring performance. Do you have a reason for doubting your son's school from past experiences? I really do think you should talk to the school teachers as they will have a sense of how he is progressing and can help you to know how to support him. I think that they are under a lot of pressure already. My youngest is in y11. He is always in his bedroom doing work for some kind of assessment. he is having regular tests and the results are coming back to let him know if he is an A or B etc with suggestions for improvement. My eldest went to a comp and had a similar experience.

I don't think the schools want any surprises (or at least nasty ones) either.