History or Religious Studies?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsa

History or Religious Studies?

Post by salsa »

Hi all,
My son needs to choose two from Geography, History and Religious Studies. He has decided that he definitely will choose Geography, but is undecided about the other two.
He is leaning towards RS, as he finds the whole discussion about morality very interesting. History, however, has been disappointing for him so far. He used to love it, but he says that what they're learning at the moment is a lot of facts and dates about mainly wars. Is this the way is meant to be? Does the subject matter change later on?
I'm a bit sad that he would drop the subject as he used to love it. (I think Horrible Histories may have had a lot to do with it, though :D)

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Salsa
Guest55

Re: History or Religious Studies?

Post by Guest55 »

I would read the specification to see what he'll be studying. I loved History but some eras are of more interest to me than others.
KB

Post by KB »

Did they not have a talk from each department about what the GCSE will be like?
History will naturally require more learning of facts but in the previous incarnation this was not overwhelming and understanding and interpretation were equally important.

History GCSE would leave more doors open than RS and this is my general advice at GCSE.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you for the responses. They've had a talk, but I'm not sure if we will be informed too.

How do you mean more options if he chose History?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

History is a solid subject that is rated very highly. It is one of the hardest subjects to get into at University as it is so popular. There are 80 students in DAO Y13 doing History, this is more than any other subject.

Both my dds do A level History and for both GCSE and A level it was their first choice subject.

RS is very interesting and at A level it is really Philosophy and Ethics. DAO is happy to let those who have not studied GCSE RS do the A level if they have done other essay based subjects but you really need to do GCSE History to be able to do it at A level,

It is a subject that opens doors to many degree courses and professions, more so than RS. DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you so much Daogroupie. My son's school does the IB, so I don't know if the same caveats apply? I think I will have to speak to the History teacher in a very diplomatic way!

Salsa
Amber

Post by Amber »

RS is also well-respected. Both my sons loved it and one is considering it at A level. The one who didn't do it at A level wishes he had. He was a really history lover and has gone right off it at A level. One man's meat...

Keeping options open is one thing; but then so is enjoying the subject, and getting a decent grade is more likely in something you like doing.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

And I do think that if there is a philosophical/ethics element to RE then this subject becomes a very interesting one which could teach some great processing and thought skills (think law!)
salsa

Post by salsa »

I agree with both, however he's always loved history, but at the same time is very philosophical and thoughtful. He's always been; he'd discuss ethical dilemmas aged 3! Sometimes, he would worry too much about things that I found difficult to explain to a child. He's loved books such as the John Grisham's Theodore Boone series and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. We had endless discussions about it.

Having said that, he's a very techie chap and I always saw him as some sort of engineer. However, judging how he can argue for England, maybe being a lawyer would also be suitable!

Salsa
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have PMed you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now