Children doing GCSEs 2019? Options.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

russet

Re: Children doing GCSEs 2019? Options.

Post by russet »

Are any other dc doing 3 year GCSEs. Ie: spending years 9, 10 and 11 on GCSEs?

Fairyelephant, will your dd be doing the first GCSEs under the now syllabus and 9-1 marking scheme? If so, what past papers are there for them to work through? (I find doing past papers is one of the most effective ways of raising grades)

It all seems like these children will be the first to venture into the unknown of the new exams. I hope it does not go like past GCSEs where more and more children started getting top grades, so they had to put in an A*. (I wonder if anyone will remember Spinal Tap when the top grade goes from 10 to 11)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The changes to grades starts in 2017 with Maths and English so the current Year 11s are the first to face this.

With a new spec there are never any 'past papers' but exam boards produce all sorts of resources for teachers. Edexcel have produced masses of practice papers for Maths this year and I expect the other boards have done the same. These are usually on websites only open to teachers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... d-a-levels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some school do start GCSE in Year 9 but that means choosing options early in Year 8 which is too early imho. You can just seemlessly go from KS3 to GCSE by making sure Year 9 material is appropriate.
russet

Post by russet »

Will there be any past papers (or examples of papers)for students to access?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes through their schools - we have already used a 'secure' mock and other material from the exam board. Teachers do need some material students can't access or they never get a 'proper' mock.

There are specimen papers in the specifications which are open access.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My dd2 is taking Triple science (no double option) French, Geography and Drama (as her "art"), and as her remaining 2 options DT and RS. These seem to have been selected as ones with the least unpleasant work to her thinking, availability of parent and sisterly advice, and the highest likelihood of her getting a good grade! I'm glad, she has enough to do. Also I like the content of the RS course and the DT. She has definitely started GCSE work this year in several if not all subjects, and is being worked hard.

dd1 now in year 12 and in top sets at a different school started some science GCSE work in year 9 but nothing else (and that sank without trace in her addled 13 year old mind). She still did well in the end.