Children doing GCSEs 2019? Options.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Children doing GCSEs 2019? Options.

Post by Guest55 »

That's true ToadMum it was a way of 'getting round' having to do 9 exams in Year 11. It is technically 'the same' but probably so so highly regarded as all exams aren't taken at the same time [which unis prefer].
russet

Post by russet »

Nope. Still confused. Is triple science the same as doing all three separately? Dd is doing biol, chem and physics separately. Is that triple science?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes. Both my dds sat nine papers in Science. B C and P 1, 2 and 3 in 2015 and 2016. That is called Triple Science but it means taking three full GCSEs in Biology, Physics and Chemistry. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My point about science was that it is my impression that many schools only offer science in a set number of lessons, some children going on to do the triple GCSE, others the double (maybe the single in some schools). In the old days one could decide to do just Biology for example and then have far more other options when it came to O levels.
russet

Post by russet »

I had assumed triple science was the next step up from double science, with one overall grade of the average over the 3 sciences, but counting as 3 GCSE's, (in the same way double science counted as 2 and is an average). Thank you for explaining.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

loobylou wrote:I did 10 but I did maths AO (?possibly. I have forgotten the name of it. We did it if we did Maths early)
We did AO maths too, LL - always thought the school had made it up as I've never met anyone else who had one!

JD
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You get three different grades as the papers are Biol, Chem or Physics. When DS did it triple meant B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, C3, P1, P2 and P3.

Core science was B1, C1 and P1 averaged with a grade given.
Additional was B2, C2 and P2 averaged with a grade given.
Further additional [when introduced] was B3, C3 and P3 averaged and a grade given.
Usually some were taken in Year 10 so not all 9 exams at the same time.

Biology GCSE was B1, B2 and B3 [which now have to be taken at the same time]
Ditto Chem and Physics ie three grades from 9 exams taken in Year 11

I'm not up to speed with the new Science GCSE yet as I have other things to focus on with the changes in maths.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JamesDean wrote:
loobylou wrote:I did 10 but I did maths AO (?possibly. I have forgotten the name of it. We did it if we did Maths early)
We did AO maths too, LL - always thought the school had made it up as I've never met anyone else who had one!

JD
I did AO maths too in the Lower Sixth; AO was above O level in standard.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Guest55 wrote:
JamesDean wrote:

JD
I did AO maths too in the Lower Sixth; AO was above O level in standard.
I think it must make us all of a certain age!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I have to admit that the number of GCSEs taken is something that concerns me quite a bit with the new linear format. Add into the mix that teachers at DD's school (year 10) are saying the new curriculum in some subjects is more demanding (teachers seemed most vocal about this in Geography and English) then I think 10 is more than enough and I feel a bit sorry for DD. A friend who teaches at a school where they are still doing 11 is concerned that grades will suffer, its just too much in the new framework.
DS is year 9. He has a talk this week and then there is a parents eve in Feb after which choices are made. It will be interesting to see what his school have to say about the new exams. I think he will take either Art or DT, and probably French as his MFL. He will struggle to pick a humanities subject. At the end of the day with few choices to make its important they pick subjects they really want to do.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now