New GCSE format

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fred

Re: New GCSE format

Post by fred »

It's interesting to see the same names transitioning from 11+ a few years back to now discussing GCSE, how time flies.

The question I have is, with this new linear system, what is the minimum number of subjects that the DC's are allowed to choose?

If my understanding is correct all the exams are taken at the same time and most subjects have multiple papers with Math I believe having 3 exams.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I expect the minimum number is school specific. DD's school does 11 although they have said that in this first year of the new format they would discuss the dropping of 1 if it was the right choice for that student

All the exams will be together in late May/June (TBC) except things like Art which will be over by Easter, and the practical element of music is earlier too. Just like when I did my O'levels back in the 80s.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Same school as Reading mum's DD. My DD is doing both textiles and ICT which are both old style GCSEs. She is just finishing a piece of controlled assessment work for ICT and will have controlled assessment for textiles too. Plus she is also doing music so that will have some assessment earlier.
I'm hoping that will mean slightly less in the way of exams in May/June 2018, however it will mean she will have a fair bit of sewing to do at some point. Thankfully at the moment she sees textiles as her 'chilling out' subject. This isn't to say she isn't putting any effort in, it means it's something she really enjoys, even the theory side, so she doesn't see it as 'work'.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now