GCSE choices

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waynetta

Re: GCSE choices

Post by Waynetta »

My DD (yr10) is doing computer science. She's quite lazy so I think it's good she's being challenged. She's one of 4 girls in a class of about 20 odd boys, many of whom are very geeky and do lots of coding, building PCs etc in their own time ( she does none of those) We've had several meltdowns, in hindsight I think she thought she was doing the ict one ( essentially using excel and other software). A classic rant was along the lines of " I don't enjoy maths, I don't like problem solving" which I think we're the ideal interests of a CS student. Luckily her dad is great at this stuff so he's been trying to ignite her interest, cd someone in your family do this?
Chococat

Post by Chococat »

Thank you very much Kenyancowgirl and Waynetta.

My daughter had been put off by the business studies course as that too seemed like there was quite a bit of maths involved; will see if I can get her to find out more and will do my own Googling into it. On options evening we couldn't get near the business studies teacher to ask any questions.

Waynetta, your daughter sounds like mine in the fact that she doesn't enjoy maths or problem solving, though she does put the effort in, which is what makes me doubt this course is right for her. It is the only computer course her school offers, which is a shame, as looking through the school website for the previous year, as well as computer science, there was another course which sounded as though it would have been perfect for her. My husband has even less computer knowledge that I do, so our daughter really would have no support outside of school!

Off to Google business studies now!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Chococat - go to the exam board website and look at the specification - this will describe the course and there will be an idea of what the exam is like.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Chococat wrote:Thank you very much Kenyancowgirl and Waynetta.

My daughter had been put off by the business studies course as that too seemed like there was quite a bit of maths involved; will see if I can get her to find out more and will do my own Googling into it. On options evening we couldn't get near the business studies teacher to ask any questions.

Waynetta, your daughter sounds like mine in the fact that she doesn't enjoy maths or problem solving, though she does put the effort in, which is what makes me doubt this course is right for her. It is the only computer course her school offers, which is a shame, as looking through the school website for the previous year, as well as computer science, there was another course which sounded as though it would have been perfect for her. My husband has even less computer knowledge that I do, so our daughter really would have no support outside of school!

Off to Google business studies now!
I am surprised when it is suggested there will be quite a bit of maths involved for a GCSE in business studies.If there was any economics involved I could understand.Apart from understanding basic accounting I cannot imagine it getting more complex than that.I recall the Edexcel course at A level in business and economics a few years back and there was no real maths on the business side.If it was economics then it would be different.

If you google the specification as Guest55 has suggested you should find the contents should be a lot easier and a lot more interesting than the alternative computer course at GCSE.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Chococat

Post by Chococat »

Many thanks Guest 55 and quasimodo,

I've had a look through the suggested website. My daughter will have a proper look at the weekend, though she doesn't appear to fancy this option either from the brief amount she's read on it :roll: ! I don't see much point in bothering the business studies teacher, I doubt there will be any more information she can give, all the course info is explained online.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My dd in y9 is also very reserved and has become even more self conscious lately, but is probably taking drama GCSE- teacher said she comes out of herself well and in a surprising way in some of the exercises, and many actors are actually quite shy but it can help with the shyness to practise playing a role. So, I hope she does take it. She considered computing as the new course sounds good and teachers are selling it well, but would have to drop drama or DT, which I urged against as she will then have zero hands-on subjects- I think it would be good to do DT and she clearly enjoys it. But, it's up to her in the end.

My friend in IT said there's likely very little benefit to computing at GCSE, but for us it would be more enrichment than career training, unless dd is struck by a bolt from the blue- the only way I think she will discover a love for maths!
Chococat

Post by Chococat »

Thank you for your input Silverysea.
My daughter has a really long history of Selective Mutism and, although she has overcome it since starting secondary school, she has no desire to take drama. I do agree that it can be a great thing for some quieter children, so good luck to your daughter if she decides to take it.

My daughter also does not enjoy maths, so she has finally decided on the business studies course instead of computer science. I would be quite happy if she could take just nine GCSE's, as she's not really interested in business studies either!

Good luck to anyone else whose child is still struggling to decide!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

GCSE options have been submitted this morning and in the end she chose: Geography, History, French and Music to go along side the school's core subjects that are; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Language, English Literature, Maths and Further Maths. Absolutely classic list of facilitating subjects.
Did anyone else's DDs have to make decisions about their choices this week?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Eccentric wrote:GCSE options have been submitted this morning and in the end she chose: Geography, History, French and Music to go along side the school's core subjects that are; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Language, English Literature, Maths and Further Maths. Absolutely classic list of facilitating subjects.
Did anyone else's DDs have to make decisions about their choices this week?
Yes dd's were handed in too. Along with Maths, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Biology, Chemistry and Physics she is doing French, History, Geography, RE and Music. So very similar to your dd!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

loobylou wrote: Yes dd's were handed in too. Along with Maths, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Biology, Chemistry and Physics she is doing French, History, Geography, RE and Music. So very similar to your dd!
I hope your DD enjoys her choices. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now