GCSE choices

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: GCSE choices

Post by scary mum »

I think (but am not positive) that Burnham Grammar has moved to 3 years. Triple science has always been done in 3 years.
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Ours have started science at February half term (year 9) so 2.5 years for that. They are doing 2 years for the rest.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In core subjects there has never been a 'hard' start to GCSE - in Maths we see it as a five year course and KS3 and KS4 overlap.

Option subjects are a different matter ...
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

I was in two minds about 3 year GCSEs 9-1s, thinking it was spread over too long a period for students to remember for the actual GCSE exam. Then again, Tinkers got me thinking when she mentioned that Reading Boys Grammar School has moved to three years. When a high performing school, such as Reading moves over to 3 years, it shows me they got it right.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote:
Surferfish wrote: I agree. On the positive side I think its great that young people get the opportunity to discuss moral and ethical issues like abortion etc, but I think its a shame and personally slightly unsettling that the exam questions always seem to be worded in the form "Explain the attitudes of religious believers to xyz", as if only religious views on moral issues are considered important.
The exam is called RELIGIOUS Studies so of course it is going to focus on religion ...
If anyone fancies testing his/her knowledge on the Bible, here is a quiz:
Can you finish the Bible verse?
http://quizzes.howstuffworks.com/quiz/c ... QiFLtj0xdQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now