GCSE choices

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eccentric

Re: GCSE choices

Post by Eccentric »

Hi All,

Thank you for all of the information. My daughter is doing English Literature as well as language (sorry I thought that was a given and assume de that it was part of the national curriculum)
I think we do need to study the topics that will be covered in both geography and RS because I suspect that it is more about religion than philosophy which may not suit. Although at the moment Dd is adament that she is interested in the religion side too.
It is good to know that it isn't a soft option and that it won't be looked down upon by universities as far as I am concerned as long as she keeps doors open for herself that is all that matters.
Really I think she would like to take both Geography and RS but that isn't an option at her school and she does want to do a language. Techs are out anyway because she is completely disinterested in them and she is grade 7 in Music so that is a natural option for her.
I count my lucky stars that this is the only hard choice for her. Some of her friends have absolutely no idea what to take.
:D
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

RS is also helpful for medicine and related subjects.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I think you are right to look carefully at the syllabus of each subject.
DD took RS last year a year early. She really loved it and toyed with the idea of taking it at A level. It is definitely not a soft option. Will also add she is an atheist and this made no difference at all.
She also chose Geography as one of her options. Half a term in and she dropped it to swap to Drama. She said GCSE Geography was not what she thought it would be. Lesson learned - always look at the course content!
She wants to do Psychology A Level and the school says an A is needed in Biology GCSE. She is predicted a B in Biology but the Psychology teacher said she would take her RS result instead. Like I said , not seen as a soft option and heavily essay based.
Good luck with the decision making.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Do the subjects you enjoy and have an aptitude for, make sure gcse are balanced at least one humanity at least one MFL or ancient language and one art/music/creative subject-job done.

It's A levels that matter and for Oxbridge the entrance exams.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow. I am amazed she was able to swop after half a term. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote:Wow. I am amazed she was able to swop after half a term. DG
Quite a few schools allow a swap in this time-scale to good students who will catch up. It's better than the alternative ...
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Yep, she was allowed to swap but she had to have a meeting with the teachers and put her case forward. She was obviously very persuasive! She is doing really well in drama and loving it so I am really glad they let her change.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Both my very non-religious sons have loved RE as a subject at GCSE. One now wishes he had done it at A level and the other is thinking of doing so. They also love Geography so do both! I think the most important thing at GCSE is to like the subjects - Y11 turns into a massive amount of work, much of which will be tedious and repetitive as exams approach; so if you hate the subject too it is likely to be even worse.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed - neither subject is essential at GCSE to be able to then progress to study that subject at A level so doesn't rule anything out at this stage. Curriculum requirements mean all children have to have some sort of RE instruction so many schools actually have it as a core subject (study it so may as well get a qualification in it). Interestingly, DS2 will be doing an Extended Project in RPE rather than a GCSE this year, so no-one in his year will have a GCSE if they then decide to take Philosophy A level.

Depending on the board it can be more religion based or more philosophy based so check that out as that may influence her decisions.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I have checked the course. It is AQA religious studies, philosophy and ethics. We have looked at the course information for both this and Geography and she has decided definitely that RS is the one for her. It sounds really interesting so I think she is making a good decision.