GCSE choices

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Re: GCSE choices

Post by fairyelephant »

Eccentric wrote:GCSE options have been submitted this morning and in the end she chose: Geography, History, French and Music to go along side the school's core subjects that are; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Language, English Literature, Maths and Further Maths. Absolutely classic list of facilitating subjects.
Did anyone else's DDs have to make decisions about their choices this week?
I agree those subjects sound like a classic and great mix. However, what I am interested to see is Further Maths - I was under the impression that FM had gone under the new regime, neither of my DC's schools have mentioned it as part of the GCSE choices sessions. Have I missed something?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

At AGGS(Altrincham girl's Grammar School) those doing FM or equivalent are recommended at the end of year 10 exams not in the initial options in year 9.

At year 9 all choose just 9 linear gcse -FM is not an option for any of them.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

fairyelephant wrote:
Eccentric wrote:GCSE options have been submitted this morning and in the end she chose: Geography, History, French and Music to go along side the school's core subjects that are; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Language, English Literature, Maths and Further Maths. Absolutely classic list of facilitating subjects.
Did anyone else's DDs have to make decisions about their choices this week?
I agree those subjects sound like a classic and great mix. However, what I am interested to see is Further Maths - I was under the impression that FM had gone under the new regime, neither of my DC's schools have mentioned it as part of the GCSE choices sessions. Have I missed something?
Maybe Guest 55 knows the answer to this ?

As there maybe something in this.

I asked the question about further maths in my dd's parents evening in year 8.Her maths teacher who wasn't the head of department stated she will need to speak to the head as don't know whether a decision has been made in continuing it.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DSs school were planning on the top set doing FM GCSE this summer but seem to have dropped the idea following the mocks :lol: :lol: I agree with them that the time would be better spent focussing on the main event.
scary mum
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Personally, QM ,I don't think gcse FM is necessary for most of students, the new 9-1 Maths syllabus is sufficiently robust some top end STEM students may find it useful even then only the new linear A levels are important.

I did AO or was it AS level maths in early 80s it was a meaningless qualification.

I'm sure G55 will come along soon to put us all right on the matter-but she is a maths teacher :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm waiting for Eccentric to clarify exactly what her DD may be taking.

AQA offer a level 2 Further Maths and the website link says:

"It will run in its current form until June 2018, with a re-sit series in June 2019. We are also looking to redevelop this qualification for first examination in June 2019."

With no new specification in sight ... http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathemat ... atics-8360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Guest55 wrote:I'm waiting for Eccentric to clarify exactly what her DD may be taking.

"It will run in its current form until June 2018, with a re-sit series in June 2019. We are also looking to redevelop this qualification for first examination in June 2019."

With no new specification in sight ... http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathemat ... atics-8360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is pretty much what DD's teacher said. That if it is available DD will take it. As far as I can gather advanced maths is out altogether.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:I'm waiting for Eccentric to clarify exactly what her DD may be taking.

Thank you Guest55 you have answered my query.My youngest dd's school are currently doing the AQA Maths GCSE 8300 and the AQA further maths.It looks like the further maths will be redeveloped for first examination in June 2019.So there will still be a further maths qualification but her school will have to decide whether this or another exam are offered to their students.Since my youngest dd will be sitting her GCSE's in June 2020 she will not be the first cohort taking any redeveloped exams if that's the choice her school makes.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Edexcel already has a new spec for IGCSE further pure maths from June 2019 sitting. Perhaps AQA would be doing the same.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

tiffinboys wrote:Edexcel already has a new spec for IGCSE further pure maths from June 2019 sitting. Perhaps AQA would be doing the same.
TB,

Edexcel igces has been around for years my DS school have been doing for at least 3 maybe four years.