Astro Physics

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Re: Astro Physics

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll second the comment about Brian Cox's tour. Fantastic!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

For those who might be interested in this new discovery

Smallest-ever star discovered by astronomers

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/smal ... stronomers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solimum

Post by solimum »

Did she see the film "Hidden Figures"? If not,look out for the DVD - it's brilliant! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

My son (yr8) is off to the space school week at Leicester uni in a couple of weeks. I'll report back then.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Fortunately, my DC did GCSE Astronomy in year 9, and enjoyed it very much. Still follows and has kept up with the interest.

The school has stopped offering the option now due to funding cuts. I hope they start again.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Just booked Space School for DD for next summer (2018). Has anyone done a GCSE Astronomy distance learning course? I have found some on the internet but don't know how good they are. DD (and I) are just getting used to her first grown up telescope so we are both very new to this and looking at the Edexecl syllabus for Astronomy I don't have the skills to teach this.
KB

Post by KB »

Maybe look into extending the interest without an exam course?
Enough pressure on them at school without risking taking the fun out of an exciting subject by being restricted to a GCSE syllabus?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Good point, that is what we are doing for the next year at least, enthusiasm could wane but as a hobby we thought if it is mostly fun then it won't feel like study (it is mainly the maths formulas that floor me but DD has taken a look and thinks it should be fine) and the online course can start in July for example and be through the summer holidays with observation part in the winter months and exam in Y10 when she doesn't have any other exams.
drvramachandran

Post by drvramachandran »

My daughter is in a state school. she is intersted in choosing astronomy as a GCSE subject.
Her school does not offer astronomy as an option.
Would it be feasible to study as a private student? are there any good online courses.

Hear that there is an observational element for the exam. any advice how to arrange for it.
Could anyone with similar experience advice

many thanks

ram
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

This page -https://he-exams.wikia.org/wiki/Astronomy has details about GCSE astronomy for private candidates. You have to do two observations and the exam centre has to sign to say you have done them - so you need proof.

But I would agree with others - it isn't worth taking on another GCSE - it won't make any difference to getting onto a physics degree, and I think it would be better just to follow whatever interests you rather than taking another exam. Physics A level includes some astrophysics.

I would agree that Further Maths at A level would be useful - but you don't need to take a further maths qualification at GCSE to be able to do that.

DS is in his final year at Durham on the integrated masters in Physics and Astronomy. He originally applied for straight physics as, although he was interested in astronomy and particle physics he didn't know that there wouldn't be an area of physics he hadn't encountered before that might captivate him. As it was he decided to switch to the joint degree at the end of the second year, mainly so he could do more astronomy in the 4th year. He did an internship at the European Southern Observatory in the summer, his master's project is astronomy based, and he has been offered a PhD place at ESO for next year (still deciding whether to take it or not). He is also doing 2 taught courses in astronomy this year and one in particle physics (which I think he is regretting!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now