how to decide on GCSE subjects? Why did you choose them?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gcse parent 001

how to decide on GCSE subjects? Why did you choose them?

Post by gcse parent 001 »

Due to the changes in GCSE, I am wondering if this has any impacts on your GCSE subjects? Which subjects are your DC going to do and why?
timothylewin

Re: how to decide on GCSE subjects? Why did you choose them?

Post by timothylewin »

when you mean changes do you mean the points system rather than the letters for the grades? If so, then its just the way the marks are reported out and should have no bearing on the subjects chosen or even taught. Some subjects are compulsory and some are chosen, those that are chosen should be along the lines of greater interest to start with. There are always anecdotes flying around the school such as don't do DT as there is tonnes of coursework, but speak to parents of kids in higher years for the actual facts.
gcse parent 001

Post by gcse parent 001 »

Thanks for the reply. Thats what i meant. Is the new system relying more on the final exam results? Which are the compulsory subjects? Are they decided by schools individually?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The new system is completely linear - ie all exam based. That and your other questions indicate you are very, very early on in your considerations and I suggest that your first port of call for answers should be with the secondary school that your child currently attends.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

The head at our school, strongly advised against more than one creative subject e.g. Art, Dance, DT, Textiles, Music because he said that the amount of course work can be overwhelming. A lot of YP think that taking more than one creative is an easy option but it is not. All of the coursework has to be done in school under supervision and it is timed.
You can look on the exam board sites and see what each exam involves. It has helped my DD immensely to look at past papers. Although the new papers will be different it helps to give a better feel for each subject.

Copying from G55's previous post (I don't know how to put a link to it). Here are links to the exam boards:

The main Exam board websites are:
AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edexcel: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OCR: http://www.ocr.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copella

Post by copella »

Hi I agree with kenyancowgirl, you do seem to be thinking about GCSEs a bit early. All schools do a presentation for the children and for the parents. Your child school will have a wealth of information and you can contact them directly re their position. In my experience compulsory subjects differ dependent on the school. At some schools they have to chose RE at others not. Speak to the school you child attends they will be able to answer your questions.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Also, please remember that it is your DC who had to study the subject and be assessed in it - and whose 'journey' the subjects chosen become a part of, not yours. Everyone will have a certain minimum of their 'choices' made for them by the school; in our DS2's case, once he has decided to do triple rather than the minimum double science, he actually only has two 'free choice' slots. Yes, you can help your DC by getting him/her to consider requirements for future study or potential careers (e.g. not dropping a subject which can't be taken at A level without the GCSE when they are interested in something which requires the A level, iyswim), but at the end of the day, if there is something that they are neither good at, nor enjoy (or even just the latter) and it is not compulsory, then please don't force them to do it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Eccentric wrote:The head at our school, strongly advised against more than one creative subject e.g. Art, Dance, DT, Textiles, Music because he said that the amount of course work can be overwhelming. A lot of YP think that taking more than one creative is an easy option but it is not. All of the coursework has to be done in school under supervision and it is timed.
I disagree with your Head! Some students excel in these subjects and can cope with the workload - as you say a lot of it is in school time these days. The benefit is they have marks 'in their pocket' when they go into their written exam and they have fewer papers to sit.

Taking both Music and DT is quite common - they can use exam pieces they are already preparing for ABRSM or other board exams for music, so it is no more work.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD is taking both music and textiles. There has been no mention of not doing both due to workload.
She did want to do product design as well, but that didn't fit into the option blocks in the end. She was warned that deadlines for textiles and PD would likely be the same and she should think hard about whether she did want to do both. She was told she would have to be very organised to keep on top of both.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Unless a dc has a define career plan requiring certain GCSEs then I don't see why they wouldn't just pick their favourite subjects.