how to decide on GCSE subjects? Why did you choose them?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Re: how to decide on GCSE subjects? Why did you choose them?

Post by fairyelephant »

I'm repeating myself here but I still think that 10 GCSEs in linear format is too many. DD will sit hers in 2018 and I would not be surprised if schools don't reduce the number taken so its more like the old days - down to 8 or 9. Perhaps I'm missing something but I really think its too much for our DC.
gcse parent 001

Post by gcse parent 001 »

the question is do DC need to know what their university course choices when they make decisions on GCSE subjects? If someone chooses a single English GCSE at age 14/15/16, will this stop he/she from applying literature related courses at age 18? similarly the decision between Double Science or Triple Science is unpredictable?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know of a single school that would allow one English GCSE. Many say that double science is not a great foundation for doing A level science, but plenty do it (some schools don't offer it) & seem to do fine. A relative of mine did double science, went on to get 4 As at A level (before A*) and gained a first class degree in medicine from a well thought of university.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Barely anyone would know at the time of choosing GCSE subjects what they want to do at university. Loobylou has the best advice. How old is your child? What is the school saying?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To answer the question asked...I chose my GCSE subjects based on a) the compulsory subjects the school required (maths, English Lit, English Lang, Chem, Biol, Physics). I was then required by the school to take a modern foreign language (German), a social science (History), and a Home Economics subject (Textiles). Yes! Only 9 subjects - and they were called O levels then....This was around 30 years ago, however!!

If the question is "how did your son choose his GCSEs"? Then the answer first and foremost is very firmly "He" chose them. Our school has compulsory subjects (again Maths, English x 2, the 3 separate Sciences and also RE). He was also required to study at least one language from three mfl and/or also Latin. After that the choice was pretty free - apart from having to select the subjects via option blocks. This didn't limit his choice, it just meant that he had to choose carefully from each block to ensure he got the subjects overall that he wished. No child in his year didn't get their first choice options.

To answer your concern about GCSE choices impacting on future careers. No self respecting school should allow this to happen - what I mean by that is, I have yet to come across a school that does not have a core curriculum of compulsory subjects that have to be taken. As these tend to be Maths, English and Science (which are usually the basis of part of the acceptance to most UK degree courses) and often include a language, a social science plus some others, generally they are a pretty broad brush.

However, if your child (and I stress your child - not you...) has a particular career idea in mind, then having a brief look at the kind of subjects that might be useful to take, is not a bad idea. More often than not, the subject requirements for degree study are specific A levels (rather than GCSEs).
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:If the question is "how did your son choose his GCSEs"? Then the answer first and foremost is very firmly "He" chose them. Our school has compulsory subjects (again Maths, English x 2, the 3 separate Sciences and also RE). He was also required to study at least one language from three mfl and/or also Latin. After that the choice was pretty free - apart from having to select the subjects via option blocks. This didn't limit his choice, it just meant that he had to choose carefully from each block to ensure he got the subjects overall that he wished. No child in his year didn't get their first choice options.
It was a pretty similar story for my DD. Compulsory Maths, English x 2, the 3 separate Sciences, then a MFL, a humanity, and then 3 options. They built the option blocks on the basis of the best fit to the most students after the forms were submitted. I know a couple didn't get everything they chose - 2 design subjects couldn't be fitted in - but most girls were happy. DD chose music, Latin and art on top of German and geography - we advised her that there would be a fair amount of coursework for art but on the other hand it would all be done and dusted by Easter. It was her informed choice to take it.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Dd is planning on taking (on top of compulsory maths, 2 x English, triple science, MFL) history, geography, RE and music. She has absolutely no idea really what her future career aspirations are but currently thinking of English and humanities at A level and then English or a humanity at degree level. She absolutely loves all of the humanities and music which is why she picked them!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students only do one English GCSE if they are not good enough to do two.

We wait to see the impact this year of the new grading in English and Maths. DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am part of a team helping NFER running tests nationally which will decide the grade boundaries for this year's English & Maths GCSE...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote: We wait to see the impact this year of the new grading in English and Maths. DG
Why are you waiting? We already know quite a lot. We knowing that the proportion getting 7+ will be similar to those getting grade A+ in 2016 and that the proportion getting 4+ will be similar to those getting C+ in 2016.

To me those assurances are really important. We also know how many 9s will be given.

Teachers have never been given so many resources when a new specification has been introduced ...

Apart from knowing the content of the papers, what more do you think we need DG?