Learning Chinese (possibly to GCSE level) outside of school

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Learning Chinese (possibly to GCSE level) outside of sch

Post by Guest55 »

dplay wrote:I know student that has just been given condition offer of one A Level subject to Imperial College, simply because two A Level subjects has been completed before sixth form.
Well that is highly unusual, Universities want to see three A levels taken at the same time and, even with one already completed, they want three. Could you send proof of this by PM to a moderator as I have never heard of it before in all my many years of teaching?
dplay

Post by dplay »

Getting offer based on early exams is usually based on individual merit.

I'm not entirely certain if I'll be able to post/send proof but I saw the offer letter myself.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:
dplay wrote:I know student that has just been given condition offer of one A Level subject to Imperial College, simply because two A Level subjects has been completed before sixth form.
Well that is highly unusual, Universities want to see three A levels taken at the same time and, even with one already completed, they want three. Could you send proof of this by PM to a moderator as I have never heard of it before in all my many years of teaching?
It is the exception and highly unusual but over the years you do come across those rare intellects which means schools have to move them into years beyond their physical ages or maybe allow them to take exams at different ages.In my lifetime I have been personally aware of two who were friends of children in my extended family.One boy was moved into the year above at primary level. Another girl who was from a muslim family of in particular maths geniuses while attending secondary school for A levels was allowed to skip some of her maths classes and attend at the local University and attend whatever maths lectures she wanted to attend in cooperation with the University maths department.I won't say which Universities both ended up attending as some don't like the obsession.

When you read of other such intellects I cannot imagine a University turning someone down when the A levels and the times they are taken do not reflect their other academic endeavours.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

As I have posted on here before, DS took maths A-level a year early, and all his Russell group offers accepted that maths A level as part of the 3 (i.e. they asked for 3 As or whatever, but accepted the maths as one of the As so he only needed 2 more), except for one which gave him an unconditional offer. When he looked around Oxford the tutors he spoke to at 2 colleges also said they would accept it as one of the 3 required, although they did say each college may be different. He didn't apply there in the end. He did take 3 more A Levels, but actually only needed 2

He also took 3 GCSEs early, which didn't seem to do him any harm either.

As a point of interest, my friend's son was home educated, and took 8 GCSEs across 3 years (which is common with Home Educated students). He is now in his first year at Oxford.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So he proved that he was capable of taking 3 in one go (although he only needed 2 of the 3 taken altogether to meet his offer?) The 3 in one go probably helped the uni confirm his offer.

The reality is, this is all what has happened in the past; the curriculum and the specification have changed now - the universities are indicating that they are now looking for different things. GCSEs all in one go are important as AS levels will not be offered as standard - unis will now be making offers based on GCSE results and they want to see that a child has coped with taking a whole ream of them in one go...not taking some early and therefore potentially making it "easier" for them in their true year. This is not made up - it is what me and my colleagues are being advised generally by university admissions - there will always be exceptions to any rules - unfortunately these are exceptions and to base decisions on exceptions is a little dodgy.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

+ 1
Past history is meaningless - we are in a very different scenario now.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Wading in here so sorry if this is an unpopular opinion (I sense it might be).

I am usually dead against early GCSEs. Both my older children had to do one and in both cases got an A* in it; but in both cases I had complained to the school about the policy (and in both cases I was politely brushed off!).

But I think in the case where a child has the opportunity to either let a language go or do an early exam in it, I would say do the exam. Chinese is such an asset and I think that would override any possible objection from a university several years down the line - especially in circumstances like this where it isn't a pushy parent saying 'oh Cressida isn't challenged enough by the 15 GCSEs she is doing at school and is waking in the night begging me to arrange Serbo-Croat lessons for her'. So I would say go for it if you can.

I also predictably believe that a person cannot call themselves properly educated unless they can speak a foreign language, or at least make an attempt at doing so. Obviously this excludes those with language disorders who might struggle enough with their mother tongue, but generally I think any reasonably intelligent person ought to learn one. And yes I know many forum members who I respect a lot disagree with this view. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Amber wrote:... I also predictably believe that a person cannot call themselves properly educated unless they can speak a foreign language, or at least make an attempt at doing so. Obviously this excludes those with language disorders who might struggle enough with their mother tongue, but generally I think any reasonably intelligent person ought to learn one. And yes I know many forum members who I respect a lot disagree with this view. :)
I agree with this view actually but with the proviso that no-one is forced to study GCSE MFL which is what I think is happening in many schools. Many bright children with SEN find a MFL very difficult and I can't justify making them study something that makes them feel worthless because they can't do it.

I think the saddest thing about the 'invention' of the EBacc is the devaluing of creative subjects and design technology.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think in times to come, Chineese, Arabic and Hindi/Urdu would be more useful than European languages.
Amber

Post by Amber »

tiffinboys wrote:I think in times to come, Chineese, Arabic and Hindi/Urdu would be more useful than European languages.
Well yes; not least because we are washing our hands of Europe in the near future ( :cry: ) and will need to make friends somewhere. Mind you, perhaps a mastery of American 'English' is all we will need - that should at least be accessible to all without too much intellectual effort.