Learning Chinese (possibly to GCSE level) outside of school

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

expatgirl

Re: Learning Chinese (possibly to GCSE level) outside of sch

Post by expatgirl »

Thank you everyone for your responses. As the OP, my question was more about finding out about studying an MFL outside of school and specifically Chinese in the North London/Herts area.

I had no preference for my DC to sit the GCSE early. It was more a question of whether there are many children who do (a MFL outside of school) and where they study for it and how it can be combined with the school they go to.

All the info on sitting GCSEs early is very useful and something that had not really crossed my mind at this stage but of course as time goes on I would see if they were ready to sit but not push them, but take advice from the MFL tutor, their school and of course expert knowledge on here.

For me personally - It's a shame that in the North London/Herts area we are relocating to, there are girls schools that offer Mandarin but the equivalent boys school's do not. So I have one child who can continue to study the language in school (which they have been doing so up till now) when they transfer over but another who won't and hence the reason I want to find an outside provider. Choosing the school for them was already a hard enough decision but we went with the ones they preferred and if the one issue of the school not offering the language they currently study was the only downside - it was up to us to find an alternative where they can carry it on and take it to GCSE level which they should be able to.
KB

Post by KB »

Do hope you find somewhere for him to carry on his learning of what could be a very useful skill.

In terms of when and if to take a GCSE it probably depends on whether you are more concerned about it adding to his tally for UCAS ( it won't count against him as such but it may not be viewed as on an equal footing with others taken in year 11) or in developing the skill ( in a similar way to a musical instrument etc).
I believe there are other certificates that can be taken in languages so it might be that the GCSE isn't the best option or an alternative could be taken in the meantime. Just thoughts!

If it's a question, either now or later on of using the language rather than formal lessons necessarily it might be possible to find a group to join or a Chinese student who would be prepared to meet for conversation, on a 'swop' basis even.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

OP, once you move you might well find that the Mandarin teacher at your DD's school can recommend a way forward for your son with this. It may well be that it has happened before. Interesting that it is offered in the girls' schools but not the boys.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now