English language help please

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gcse2018

English language help please

Post by gcse2018 »

Ds will be taking literature and English language, is it normal not to be taught any of the language part such as creative writing till year 10. Could you suggest how could I help him. He is in year 10 at the moment.
Thank you
topsyturvy

Re: English language help please

Post by topsyturvy »

I am not sure why you got no replies, so I am posting a reply only to share what I have done with my DC's who are doing GCSE.

Creative writing usually is never taught but the child learns by reading all along the school years. The content will be based on the style of authors he or she reads; based on the experience they gather over time. No specific book per se, reading variety of books will help in achieving higher mark.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD is in year 10 and so far has only had 2 weeks worth of lessons regarding the Language exam - and that was looking at one 8 mark question. The rest of the time has been spent on literature. I queried this at open evening this week, and was told they would be looking at the Language exam this term - not much sign of it yet!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What boards are you all doing?

Sometimes the writing is a choice between Creative Writing, Persuasive Writing, Descriptive Writing or a letter or a journal or an advert/brochure etc.

If it is composition the titles tend to be very simple so it is not too hard to get started. The January 2017 IGCSE Edexcel English language composition title was Ambition. Fairly easy to come up with a story on that one! DG
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Thanks DG
My end they are doing the new 9-1 AQA exam in Eng Lang
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks. Is there any coursework involved? DG
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

No Coursework in new format for AQA 9-1
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

You are worrying unnecessarily. The Language GCSE is dependent on understanding of how writers use language and structural techniques as well as testing the students' own ability to write fluently, creatively and to a specific purpose. By understanding and analysing literary texts, students acquire these skills to a degree; the next step is being able to apply what they have learnt in their own writing.

The best thing you can do is get your DC to read as widely as possible (during the holidays, perhaps , if there is no time now). Creative/ descriptive writing is only one section of one exam. Teachers are teaching 2 GCSEs - not everything can be covered immediately. The Literature GCSE is content heavy and your school is prioritising this. Language is being taught as part of this because one can't analyse a text without doing this. It will fall into place - don't worry. Remember that success at English is dependent on the acquisition and application of a range of skills rather than learning and remembering as for other subjects - like art or music rather than maths. But they have to recognise good writing before they can do it for themselves.
gcse2018

Post by gcse2018 »

Thank you so much for replying all. Ds is in year 10 doing AQA , I was puzzled why they do only literature yet sit language exam as well.Thanks again for answering me
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

They will cover both but can't fit everything into Year 10. If they are examined at the end of this year on Language it will just be a 'work in progress' update; the Language is more
difficult to score highly as the skills required are more advanced than for Literature. However, Literature has more content, hence the fact that it takes longer to do. PM me if you like; I teach GCSE AQA spec.