Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
current

Choice between history and PE

Post by current »

Hello
Just a quick query

My ds has already taken up the MFL , geography, triple science , DT and is considering choice between PE and History. He doesnot want to do RE , computing and drama .
He is not particularly sporty though he is doing well in cricket . He finds history not so interesting but would consider it too .
What are the implications of going for PE which is seen as a diff option by universities.
He does want to go into engineering .

I would be very grateful for your input .
Guest55

Re: Choice between history and PE

Post by Guest55 »

Check which sports the school will use for assessment. personally I always recommend going with what you enjoy - universities wont 'mind' GCSE PE - it's the grades that are more important.

I see on the other thread that DT has been chosen and that is a key choice for Engineering along with science and maths.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

current wrote:He doesnot want to do RE , computing and drama .
current wrote:He does want to go into engineering
Taking the the two statement together , engineering is a mathematical as is computing .

Then computing/DT would be the most relevant for an engineering.

But the confirmed choices are already broad so it matters not-let him do what he wants.
KB

Post by KB »

Another vote for doing what he prefers.

It won't matter if he isn't a natural sportsman but there is sufficient a practical aspect that he should probably enjoy it.

Get him to look at the syllabus for GCSE History and if possible see who the teachers are. It should be an interesting subject if taught well.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

KB wrote:Another vote for doing what he prefers.

It won't matter if he isn't a natural sportsman but there is sufficient a practical aspect that he should probably enjoy it.

Get him to look at the syllabus for GCSE History and if possible see who the teachers are. It should be an interesting subject if taught well.
Also please consider the PE syllabus.My youngest dd will have to make a similar choice on PE.In regard to the OCR syllabus I am aware that is in three parts the first being applied anatomy and physiology,physical training and the physical factors affecting performance.The second part being the socio-cultural influences of sports psychology, health, fitness and well-being.This is the theory part which is 60%.The practical activity part is only 40% which involve individual and team sports and have just recently changed the acceptable sports activities.

I agree do what you are good at and which will lead to high marks.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln