GCSE Grades in 2016 and before

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KB

Re: GCSE Grades in 2016 and before

Post by KB »

Wasn't disagreeing with that Guest but definitely at one point they did have a GCSE requirement as part of the auto pool criteria.

I don't have current contacts to know exactly what the current situation is but in any case it only impacts a few people each year so there are much more important admissions criteria to be keeping an eye on over the next couple of years!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The current requirement for pooling does not require a set amount of A star grades. I know several students who were pooled this year at, some at Cambridge , some at Oxford.

Difficult to be more specific without identifying individuals but there must have been other criteria more important than GCSE A stars.

It is true to say that the loss of AS is having an impact on Cambridge and they are now likely to introduce more tests for subjects where they were not used previously. Some were introduced last year and more are probably coming.

I don't think they will return to GCSE grades. They have been clear that they feel that A level performance and admission test performance is far closely related to performance at degree level. DG
KB

Post by KB »

There is a difference between pooling and auto pooling at Cambridge.

Pooling is when a college doesn't offer a place but feels the candidate is suitable material for a place ( based on various criteria) and may be fished from the pool by another college, either to be offered a place or to be re-interviewed before deciding whether to offer a place.

Auto-pooling is when a candidate isn't offered a place by the first choice college after interview but by meeting certain criteria ( based on AS UMS or A2 grades if already completed and certainly at one stage GCSE A*s) they automatically get a place in the pool whatever the assessment of the college.