RE GCSE Short Course

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rolland

RE GCSE Short Course

Post by rolland »

RE Short Course is mandatory in DS school apart from the usual 10 subjects. I am trying to understand how this is seen when they finish gcses, meaning as a full subject or as an half subject? My question is when the grades given will they be given against 10 or 10.5 or 11 choices, as an example say 5As and 5.5Bs ?
scary mum

Re: RE GCSE Short Course

Post by scary mum »

Do you mean for entry in to 6th form? Most schools would judge on the top 8, or a standard offer such as 5 C's for many sixth form colleges.
scary mum
rolland

Post by rolland »

Not only 6th form but for University as well, how do they consider RE short course as an half unit or full?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Universities understand most schools do this - it is half a GCSE. Amongst 10 or 11 others, it is the overall picture that is looked at.

I'm not quite sure what point you are making.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Universities don't offer places based on GCSE grades as they are already obtained before students apply. They may be taken into account when universities make an offer at A level , particularly with the abolition of ASs, but they are a known quantity. I'm not clear what you are asking either.
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you are asking how your child should phrase her results when, say, asked by a relative how she did, then the usual would be 10 Bs and a C in short course RE, for example. Universities and 6th Forms know (because you have to state on any application forms) that it is the short course and therefore only half a GCSE. Some schools actually offer the full GCSE course - and universities know this also. Up until last year, ours offered the full RE GCSE and it was taken in Y10. It is one of the GCSEs that could be taken early and not "minded" by universities that it was not all in one sitting, because, that was deemed as good as those schools that do it altogether with the other 10 or so but only as a half GCSE.
rolland

Post by rolland »

Thank you all for clarifying this