Double Science and Triple Science

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Re: Double Science and Triple Science

Post by KB »

In agreement with the above -
You really need to get the fundamental problem sorted out now.
Taking triple science outside school is going to out info pressure on your child and the extra exams aren't going to make a difference to med school applications. She would be better spending the time gaining some of the experience required for med school applications.

If she ends up taking double science and you want to fill in any gaps before A level then get her a bit of tutoring between year 11 & year 12. This isn't necessary but if you and she are concerned then it would be more effective than taking triple science on top of double award.

Sorting out whatever is causing problems at school is going to be more help to your child in the long run. Both in terms of her science learning and in life lessons of how to deal with such challenges.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As has already been mentioned boards tend to put their subjects on the same day to stop students doing two different GCSEs on the same subject with different boards. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is the 'personality tussle' with the Head of Science, or just with one of the subject teachers? Even if with the Subject Head, I find it hard to believe that any teacher would block a GCSE option out of spite. There would have to be a very good reason for a member of staff to refuse to teach an individual pupil - they have to put up with pupils they don't like just as pupils have to put up with them :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

I am sorry and may well regret posting here with all experienced replies already. But, wanted to share what I have gathered on this topic (if I may) :roll:

As the current exam in A and As level will be linear compared to previous years, having a triple science is better than double science for UNI admissions (hearsay when mum's chat waiting for turn in school evening).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Maybe the school mums should check out university entry requirements? As a scientist i would like everyone to do triple science, but i know that it's not necessary, or even desirable (or possible) for some.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

topsyturvy wrote:I am sorry and may well regret posting here with all experienced replies already. But, wanted to share what I have gathered on this topic (if I may) :roll:

As the current exam in A and As level will be linear compared to previous years, having a triple science is better than double science for UNI admissions (hearsay when mum's chat waiting for turn in school evening).
It is unlikely to be of any relevance at all. The candidate needs to be offering good grades / grade predictions at A level - if they are predicted A* / A in science subjects, no-one will query the fact that they only did double science at GCSE (although I suppose they might wonder about the predictions if the grades at GCSE were not good) .

What will matter more (for some universities more than others) is to have a decent selection of good grades. So if you are offering Bs for separate sciences, that would still be 3Bs - admissions tutors aren't going to go, 'But of course, we would score BBB in triple science more highly than A*A* in double and an A in Economics'. Especially if you are applying to study Medieval History or something equally 'non-science'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

The question is if Double Science is same as Triple Science then why not all do Double as it saves studying less.

Ideally, double science should be for students who don't want to study Science in A levels by the logic.

Schools say that doing a month of catching up before start of A levels to be abreast to Triple Science student, not sure if that is enough.
Last edited by topsyturvy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

scary mum wrote:Maybe the school mums should check out university entry requirements? As a scientist i would like everyone to do triple science, but i know that it's not necessary, or even desirable (or possible) for some.
The new A levels are linear and surely University will give new guidelines as the new set of students sit the new era.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Triple science is compulsory at my DC's school. They would both have preferred to do dual science as neither are keen on science, particularly physics. I wondered if it would be possible to drop physics before GCSE if their scores were poor?
KB

Post by KB »

There is no question that there is more content in triple science than the double award but not all schools offer it ( for various reasons).

If a student wants to do science A levels and has a choice then I would generally recommend studying the individual subjects at GCSE but where this isn't possible within the school's normal provision it isn't a cause for alarm.

There will be material that a double award student needs to catch up against a triple science student at A level but it just requires a bit of extra effort. Nothing that a keen student can't deal with.

Where a GCSE student has a choice and opts for double over triple but is then applying to study science at Uni it is just possible that an admissions tutor might wonder but I think it's very unlikely scenario. Generally it would be assumed that the double award was all that was on offer and assuming the GCSE grades were appropriate then the focus would be on predicted A level grades. Where a PS or interview is involved then demonstrating interest in the subject beyond the curriculum is important in any situation.

As to whether Physics GCSE can be dropped before the exam. This is no different from dropping any subject. The GCSE results will show grades for each individual subject so it will look odd that they have two individual sciences but not the third. It won't appear that they have taken double rather than triple award. They will also have one less subject than their peers as double science students would be taking an extra non science subject over the triple award students.
There is a danger that physics is perceived as 'not being for me' in the same way as maths ( hopefully not do much these days!) There is no reason why this should be any more so ( at GCSE level at last) than any other science subject. It does require clear teaching but with a logical approach to learning and revision a student should be able to obtain a grade in line with their general attainment level.

Few students are keen on all their GCSE subjects but I would be against the option of being able to drop a subject if scores are poor except in very extreme circumstances. At this stage there is very little subject content that an adult can't pick up later in life if needed but learning how to learn and how to cope when something is difficult or how to behave when you have to do something that you aren't very interested in are important lessons.
It's a shame if the compulsory triple science means students loose out on a non science option they would have preferred but it's one of those 'get on with it and do your best' situations I think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now