Triple science vs French

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Peridot

Re: Triple science vs French

Post by Peridot »

Agree G55 it's not mandatory to have a MFL qualification for UCL but it is a stated preference. UCL students who don't are required to take a MFL course alongside their degree modules, in the first year only I think. Gosh is it really the only university with this stipulation? If so, good for them!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

As I always say on these threads, studying an MFL to GCSE will not teach your child to speak the language. It will teach them to pass the exam as well as keeping doors open for study at A level & beyond, but I don't think anyone should go away with the idea that a GCSE will do anything else. I encouraged DCs 1&2 to do an MFL which they did, by the time we got to DC3, who had no aptitude for languages I told him to choose whatever he wanted!
scary mum
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

It was compulsory at DC's school as had no choice to leave MFL.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Compulsory mfl at our school too. No choice not to take one.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Our school gives a completely free choice (don't even have to do history or geography) although they do caption them about keeping different paths open at this stage.
scary mum
KB

Post by KB »

I would opt for French rather than triple science to keep options open if they aren't yet set on a particular path.

However I would also very strongly advise looking again at the idea of taking both drama and PE. While he may enjoy both subjects it is important not to take non core subjects that could interfere with getting the best grades he can in the core subjects.

Please look carefully at how the work is structured and particularly at deadlines and assessments towards the end of the two years. Not only could they clash with each other but they could also interfer with important teaching or revision time in core subjects.