GCSEs 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piggys

Re: GCSEs 2018

Post by piggys »

The local secondary where I do some GCSE intervention introduced Mindfulness sessions as a lunchtime pursuit about 3 years ago and although the numbers have dwindled, it remains quite a successful little group. My own dd has a tendency towards anxiety and although she isn't into Mindfulness , she is into those very complex colouring books which really force you to concentrate....I have been doing some colouring too and find it surprisingly therapeutic :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

GCSE textiles coursework DONE!
She has just spent the evening printing out the paperwork stuff after finishing her dress last week (I’m bias but I think it looks really good and some of her friends reckon she should wear it for their prom so they must think so too but she won’t be able to).

That’s 60% of gcse textiles completed and she is happy it’s all done. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news Tinkers :) It's a good feeling knowing those marks are in the bag.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Tinkers wrote:GCSE textiles coursework DONE!
She has just spent the evening printing out the paperwork stuff after finishing her dress last week (I’m bias but I think it looks really good and some of her friends reckon she should wear it for their prom so they must think so too but she won’t be able to).

That’s 60% of gcse textiles completed and she is happy it’s all done. :D

GCSE ICT coursework also now all done too. Also 60% of the final grade.
(Her textiles teacher asked her to add just one page more. But that’s now done and dusted)

Just music to sort out recording her performances pieces (one has been done but her and her teacher want her to do it again) and her second composition to do and that’s it for the coursework.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

D'S was saying that they still have not completed the curriculum for most subjects. Is this normal with it being so close to the GCSE'S? He is still being set a lot of homework so is not able to start revising. I may be wrong but it feels like some of the teachers seem in a panic trying to get this curriculum finished.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Sciences and maths are finished, everything has been covered once in English Literature but they are going back over in more details for some books, which is useful. They have only just looked at the unseen poetry part. They have also covered all the types of questions in English Language.

Religious Studies still have 3/4 of the second paper to cover, with only 10 lessons left before the exam. Plus what has supposedly been covered has only really been glossed over, with hardly any reference to religions teachings which is a bigger part of the new GCSE. The other classes seem to have pretty much covered everything. I spotted this was likely to happen back before Christmas and so bought textbooks and a revision guide and DD has been working through those on her own - but this has meant less time spent on other subjects she needs more.

Music hasn't even started to be taught, but that is an on-going issue from the beginning of the course, so DD has already taught herself most of that too.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Thanks, DS said that out of the 10 subjects, they had only completed the curriculum for Chemistry. It's a bit of a worry!
Hera

Post by Hera »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:Thanks, DS said that out of the 10 subjects, they had only completed the curriculum for Chemistry. It's a bit of a worry!
My DS is the same. Chemistry is the only subject he has finished.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD reckons they have finished the syllabus in maths, English and ICT. They have just about done chemistry. They are just doing odds and ends in physics. Not sure about biology. Now they have finished textiles coursework they are concentrating on the theory, but she doesn’t think there is much left.

Geography wise, she has a field trip in two weeks, so that obviously isn’t done. I think german is behind too, but she is learning the vocab herself.

There’s still a couple of pieces of music to go through, but she is relaxed about those.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Biology syllabus is not complete- they are looking at appropriating lessons from the other sciences
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now