GCSEs 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

GCSEs 2018

Post by Tinkers »

Our turn this time around. DD has just started year 11.
She wasn't looking forward to going back to school this year for the first time ever, but thankfully the teachers have talked to them and told them what help and advise is available to them and she came home much happier.

DD is doing the usual maths, eng lit and Lang, 3 sciences, german, geography, music, textiles and ICT.
Hates ICT and finds it incredibly boring. it was a reserve choice and what she disliked the least out of what was left. However thankfully she also thinks it's straight forward.

She has managed to look at the exam timetable already. :shock: thankfully she only has one exam for ICT, textiles and music. ICT and textiles are still the old GCSEs so plenty of revision material available too.
In music she is figuring out her performance pieces. A piano duet and looking like she will be singing for her solo piece.

First school trip on Tuesday. John Lewis - the fabric department. :lol:

Doesn't seem like two minutes ago we were in year 5 and starting work towards the 11+.
Blitz

Re: GCSEs 2018

Post by Blitz »

GCSEs for us too in 2018; just recovering from GCSEs in 2017! The joys of a having children 22 months apart but only one school year.

DS this time, with a lastminute.com work ethic.
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I only have the one, so thankfully, like the 11+ I only have to go through this once. :lol:

DD is not too bad with the work ethic, but only because I've drilled it in for years. On the one occasion I let her fend for herself and leave to to the last minute she got really stressed out, so she learnt from that and doesn't so much.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Tinkers, I shall join you! Our first born will be sitting his GCSEs in 2018 - 3 more to follow! I think he is more anxious than he expected. Luckily, he has a slow and steady approach so we're hoping this will pay off when he has to prepare for the exams! Have results day in my diary already.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Here we go again. This one will be stressful!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Just looked at the 2018 exam timetables.

22nd May: DS has English Lit 1 hr 45 mins (am) but this clashes with AS German writing 1hr 40 mins then Geography 1 hr 30 min (pm)

When would he do the German paper? After English or after Geography? How much break do they get between exams? I reckon his hand will be dropping off at the end of the day.

Feeling stressed for him already!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

School would manage the clash.
Enough time for the two morning papers to be sat between 9 and 1 pm.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Blitz wrote:Just looked at the 2018 exam timetables.

22nd May: DS has English Lit 1 hr 45 mins (am) but this clashes with AS German writing 1hr 40 mins then Geography 1 hr 30 min (pm)

When would he do the German paper? After English or after Geography? How much break do they get between exams? I reckon his hand will be dropping off at the end of the day.
Why is he doing AS early? Unis don't like early entry and no exam board would know these might clash ...
When you are looking at the timetable so check subject codes as some subjects have more than one version ...
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Guest55 wrote:
Blitz wrote:Just looked at the 2018 exam timetables.

Why is he doing AS early?
His school has the policy that all boys take a MFL GCSE in Y9. He loves German so decided to continue studying it rather than take Russian Mandarin or French GCSE. The school wants the students to take a language exam in Y11, so his class are doing AS German. He will continue to study it in 6th Form to A level.

He does not want to go to university.
doodles

Post by doodles »

GCSE's for ds2 in 2018. He's got 3 science, 2 English, re, French, geog, history, computer science plus add maths as he did his maths early this summer.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now