Native language GCSE instead of MFL

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Native language GCSE instead of MFL

Post by salsa »

The language excellence programme at the school is quite new, so those on it haven't reached year 10. It is too late to change languages now as those are decided before they start year 7, usually by the school, unless you have a reason to request either Mandarin or Japanese. In this case, the parents requested Mandarin. The school contacted them and asked them about what level the boy had as they didn't want him to get bored. In total, they take 9 GCSEs and, as far as I know, only the oriental language GCSE can be taken early in year 10. I think that those who take it earlier will start a different more advanced qualification in year 11. Not sure what it is, but maybe it would be part of the IB, which is what the school does for the 6th Form.

You need to do two languages for the IB and one of them could be from scratch.

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I thought that for the IB, you have to do one subject from each group? Does the school offer a language other than English in group 1?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

ToadMum wrote:I thought that for the IB, you have to do one subject from each group? Does the school offer a language other than English in group 1?
I really don't know. All I know is that they do two languages. As I understand it, apart from English.

Salsa

Edit: I have not found out much as mine are not in the programme.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:
ToadMum wrote:I thought that for the IB, you have to do one subject from each group? Does the school offer a language other than English in group 1?
I really don't know. All I know is that they do two languages. As I understand it, apart from English.

Salsa

Edit: I have not found out much as mine are not in the programme.
Okay, found this on the IB website:
Choosing subjects in the Diploma Programme
Students choose courses from the following subject groups: studies in language and literature; language acquisition; individuals and societies; sciences; mathematics; and the arts.
Students may opt to study an additional sciences, individuals and societies, or languages course, instead of a course in the arts.
Students will take some subjects at higher level (HL) and some at standard level (SL). HL and SL courses differ in scope but are measured according to the same grade descriptors, with students expected to demonstrate a greater body of knowledge, understanding and skills at higher level.
Each student takes at least three (but not more than four) subjects at higher level, and the remaining at standard level.
Standard level subjects take up 150 teaching hours. Higher level comprises 240 teaching hours.

(My bolding)

Poor 'Arts' would appear to be a bit of an 'also ran' - not only is it the only group which can be sacrificed for an extra subject in other groups, but it's the one group from which (by definition) you cannot choose two subjects.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks ToadMum, I really will get into it as the time approaches, I promise! It sounds much more complicated than doing 3 A levels!

Salsa