How many GCSEs are good enough for Russel Group universities

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: How many GCSEs are good enough for Russel Group universi

Post by yoyo123 »

Amber wrote:
avidskier wrote: I know the number of subjects has always historically been a focus with both OLevels and GCSE but this really is a marked change. And it is hard to overcome the temptation to pile on the number.
Has it? I don't think it has actually. I did O levels and it was nearly always 8, occasionally 9 and rarely 10 in one go. Universities have only ever cared about the top 8 GCSEs so there has never been any real point doing any more; it is just that the number has gradually crept up so the average now is probably 10. I am not sure who exactly is finding it 'hard to overcome the temptation to pile on the number' but I don't think it is schools, nor pupils themselves (whoever could it be, then? :wink: ). Either way, one's autonomy to decide is likely to be restricted by school policy - you can't just unilaterally opt to take 12 if a school offers you 9. End of.
I agree, Amber. When I did my O levels in 1973, we did 8, but were expected to pass them all, with good grades. Some of my friends went on to Oxford, Cambridge etc and there was no suggestion that they had insufficient O levels. The only exceptions were that you could take an additional O level in Ancient Greek or Further Maths in th3 Liwer Sixth.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote: Either way, one's autonomy to decide is likely to be restricted by school policy - you can't just unilaterally opt to take 12 if a school offers you 9. End of.
Agreed. I'm a little surprised by some of the other posts on this thread which seem to imply that an individual child can choose how many GCSE's to take. Surely as you say the number is determined by the school's policy? That's certainly the case at our school anyway where everyone does 10.

Regarding the ideal number, many seem to say that 8 is sufficient, but the problem with this these days is that at most schools at least 6 or even 7 of these will be compulsory. (Triple science and/or RS are often compulsory GCSEs). So if you only do 8 in total, this will severely limit any personal choice. IMO 10 is about the right balance.
KB

Post by KB »

Some schools do allow optional extras - taken at lunch times or after school and there have been examples on here of parents entering young people as private candidates do it's not totally dependent on school policy.

It will be interesting to see how things change over the next few years. I've been hearing that several schools are looking at dropping RS as a requirement at GCSE.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

KB wrote:It will be interesting to see how things change over the next few years. I've been hearing that several schools are looking at dropping RS as a requirement at GCSE.
DDs school don't make anyone take RS gcse and havent done for at least all the time she has been there. They ‘do’ the compusory RS stuff that schools are required to do in PHSE, as far as I am aware.
They have to choose one from geography, history and RS as one of their GSCE options.
Amber

Post by Amber »

KB wrote:Some schools do allow optional extras - taken at lunch times or after school and there have been examples on here of parents entering young people as private candidates do it's not totally dependent on school policy.
Don't give people ideas KB! :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Tinkers wrote:
KB wrote:It will be interesting to see how things change over the next few years. I've been hearing that several schools are looking at dropping RS as a requirement at GCSE.
DDs school don't make anyone take RS gcse and havent done for at least all the time she has been there. They ‘do’ the compusory RS stuff that schools are required to do in PHSE, as far as I am aware.
They have to choose one from geography, history and RS as one of their GSCE options.
Our school has dropped RS GCSE entirely. All Y10 now do an EPQ on an aspect or RPE that interests them. The compulsory RE content is delivered through pshe and assemblies etc. RPE seems pretty interesting to me and if the EPQ aspect had been available at school, I might have done it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now