GCSE Computer Science tasks leaked

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

GCSE Computer Science tasks leaked

Post by Guest55 »

"The new computer science GCSE has been thrown into disarray after programming tasks worth a fifth of the total marks were leaked repeatedly online.

Exams regulator Ofqual plans to pull this chunk of the qualification from the overall marks as it has been seen by thousands of people."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42138037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sad news - why do people do this?
mad?

Re: GCSE Computer Science tasks leaked

Post by mad? »

Poor kids. I agree, what a lack of integrity/common sense.
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

It's a tough GCSE and my DS has worked so hard on his controlled assessment, he will be furious :(
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Hera

Post by Hera »

My DS is in the middle of this. It has not been pulled yet. It is under consultation until the 22nd of December and a decision will be made on the 8th. I think the concerns are all a bit ridiculous; the kids can take nothing in or out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Hera wrote:My DS is in the middle of this. It has not been pulled yet. It is under consultation until the 22nd of December and a decision will be made on the 8th. I think the concerns are all a bit ridiculous; the kids can take nothing in or out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think you had better have a look at some of the posts over on TSR ('Computer science nea may be scrapped' thread), before asserting that nothing can be taken in or out. It would appears that some have found a way round that onej :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Computing task pulled out.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42608372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Post by Hera »

DS is not happy. It does seem ridiculous that a Computer Science qualification has no programming element as it is not included in the written papers. I still think it has been a major over reaction to the issues faced.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD is doing GCSE ICT (not CS, they will change over to that for the current year 10s).
Speaking to her ICT teacher on parents evening, he was very reluctant to move over to the CS course for the current year 11s for various reasons, as he thought there were many issues that needed to be ironed out first.
I’d have preferred DD to have done CS not ICT, (though ICT wasn’t one of her option choices, it was a reserve choice, so she would have rather be doing something else completely). However it seems she as at least missed out on this debacle.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

DD not happy, too. They had completed the assessment and all programming. Work done over the whole term gone to waste. I guess now 100% weighted paper awaits.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just so unfair on the DC that have followed the rules and worked so hard. Having put the effort in and finished the controlled assessment DS is not happy that all those hours of work won't be considered. How is it possible to have a credible CS GCSE without a programming element.

Can only hope that those who chose to break the rules will have a pang of conscience and not be so stupid again. This is part of children's education they have messed up!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !